Regarding manners.

Is it rude for people to show up to your home unannounced? I find it very impolite. I think it's important to call or text, regardless of whether it's family or friends. Is that silly? Was it at one point normal in recent years to just drop by someone's home? Is this a generational/cultural thing? It drives me mad!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:57 PM on May. 15, 2010 in Relationships

• I hate that more than anything! Yes it is rude, unless your just the type of person that doesnt mind that type of stuff. People that know you and have known you for a while I would think wouldnt do this if they know how you are about it. Others not so much. My friend doesnt mind, she asked me why I care. I dont know, I just dont like people coming by when I dont know. Maybe my house isnt picked up the way I like (ocd lol) or I may not be dressed.
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 12:59 PM on May. 15, 2010

• I hate it too! Now my family finally gets it...call first, or don't come in. I usually walk around my house in pj's or without a bra and I don't always comb my hair as soon as I get up. CALL FIRST!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:05 PM on May. 15, 2010

• It's very ill-mannered. I'd prefer only the folks at UPS seeing me look a mess! Plus, I also like to have my home extra tidy and be able to have snacks to offer if a visitor comes. Always call ahead! :-D
    SMH2010

Answer by SMH2010 at 1:35 PM on May. 15, 2010

• LOL - I have to say, I have mixed views on this. Usually, I don't mind when people stop by (though we don't live anywhere near family so they can't, and most of my friends know that there are times that it's just not good to drop over lol). I'm more than happy to have them stop over for a bit, especially as long as they don't expect me to drop what I'm doing (lol, we can visit while I fold laundry, for example). So, on the one hand, I don't think it's rude.

But on the other hand, I really feel uncomfortable about dropping in on my friends unannounced, and try to always call. The exception to this is like a friend who lives right next door, if I have a fast question or need to drop off / pick up something and am not expecting to come in or anything. So, on the other hand, I guess I do think it's rude.

lol - I guess it's a reverse case of "do what I say, not what I do..." :-)

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:39 PM on May. 15, 2010

• I completely agree with sailorwifenmom! I feel both ways about it. After awhile I stopped caring if the house was a mess if some1 just stopped by, If it bothers them they know to call or text.
    With my family we are very close so we always drop by unannounced, were just comfortable like that. But distant family i would be very uncomfortable to be caught off guard.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 2:29 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Its irritating isnt it... But when its your family there not much you can do. I politely told my cousin please call before you come or let me know she kept coming during the kids nap time and she is very loud and would wake them up. Also I posted a sign on my door that states 2 kids please knock if you wake them you take them....that put an end to it

raurismomma07

Answer by raurismomma07 at 2:40 PM on May. 15, 2010

• It all depends on the relationship you have with the person(s), but definately a phone call would be the least they could do, unless it was a major emergency.
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 3:05 PM on May. 15, 2010

• I just feel like, what is the point of having a cell phone if you can not call a few minutes before you show up at someones house unannounced. Emergency, fine, just to stop by and chat...call first.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:15 PM on May. 15, 2010