I NEED HELP & ADVICE PLEASE

MY DAUGHTER HAS 2 PROBLEMS THAT CONCERN ME. 1ST ONE IS SHE MIGHT BE TEETHING AND IF SHE IS WHAT ARE WAYS TO HELP SOOTHE HER AND HELP HER COPE WITH IT. 2ND IS SHE DONT WANT TO EAT AT ALL I KNW SHES 7MONTHS OLD AND SHOULDVE BEEN EATIN ALONG TIME AGO BUT WHEN SHE ENDED UP IN THE HOSPITAL A FEW MONTHS AGO IT THREW OFF THE FACT THAT I WAS STARTING FOODS ON HER. NOW SHE WILL TURN HER HEAD WHEN SHE SEES A SPOON OR GAG IF I GET THE SPOON IN HER MOUTH. IM SOO STRESSED BECAUSE I WANT HER TO EAT. MOMMIES PLEASE HELP

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:09 PM on May. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First, with teething, give her something cold to chew on, like a frozen wet washcloth. It'll soothe her gums. With the second, there is nothing wrong with her not wanting to eat solid food yet. You shouldn't have started her a long time ago with it, either. 6 months is the guideline to start, but a baby should get the majority of their nutrition from breast milk or formula until at least 1 year old. Your little one might just not want to eat solids yet. And that's perfectly okay. As long as she still has breast milk or formula, she'll be fine. That has more fat and calories that she needs anyway.
    Anonymous

• Try freezing bananas, my son loved them when he was teething. Just cut them in half (so they can lay flat) and put them on a plate in the freezer.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 1:16 PM on May. 15, 2010

• A frozen wet wascloth is the best solution for teething! As for eating...my dd's pediatrician told me not to worry about it because the baby will eat when they are hungry enough. As Anonymous said at 1:14, as long as you are getting formula or breast milk into her, then do not worry about solids yet.
    Merjo

Answer by Merjo at 1:18 PM on May. 15, 2010

• you can also use baby orajel or teething tablets if the cold stuff doesn't work, my dd hates cold stuff in her mouth even when her gums ache. as for solids, no worries, your little one will take them when ready. also, some babies eat less when their gums hurt.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:28 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Baby orajel doesn't work that well. It numbs areas in the mouth that don't hurt (like the tongue) and doesn't touch where the ache is. The best thing is something cold for temporary relief and distraction. Keep the baby occupied with things to do! Go outside too.

And don't worry about foods. Waiting is ideal!! Nutrition comes from milk, not solids. food before one is just for fun. If you never had braces you may not realize how off putting spoons and food are when your mouth and jaw hurts. If you try to make her eat you will create food issues. Also, babies are more apt to eat if the are allowed to feed themselves and also real table food is better overall including taste and texture than commercial jars which are overpriced half water blandness.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:37 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Babies don't need to be spoonfed. Fork mash food and let her feed herself. Solids aren't recommended until 6 mo so she shouldn't have been eating a long time ago. She doesn't need to eat baby cereals or baby food.

Food before 1 is not for fun, it is for nutrition. The food is for fun or experience is a myth. You want to make sure you feed good nutritious food.

http://www.kellymom.com/ has info about starting solids.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:41 PM on May. 15, 2010

• If you do feed her frozen solid foods, give them to her in a mesh feeder, to reduce the choking risk. Frozen grapes were our saving grace. We kept a wet washcloth in the freezer (in a ziplock bag while in the freezer so it wouldn't get gross) for him to chew on as well. We also used Hyland's teething tablets and Camilia drops. When all else fails, there's always Tylenol or Motrin.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:32 AM on May. 16, 2010