I think PA of all kinds should be done away with.

We have menial jobs out there that people think they are too good for. (Strawberry picking, janitorial work, anything an illegal immigrant does)
If we stopped paying people to do nothing, the country would have more money.
Do you agree or disagree and why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on May. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Anon :10 ~ I was NOT strong when that happened. I was 24, alone in a strange state with 3 boys aged 8,7,5. I became strong because I had to. I grew up spoiled and naive ~ which is how I ended up with the ex. I believed the best about everyone and didn't know that bad things happen to anyone.

People knew I didn't have electricity. Some laughed. Some jeered. A few helped by giving us candles or canned goods. They were kind. They taught me to appreciate a hand up over a hand out. They knew I was working, they knew when the lights went on, they knew when I moved to a better place. They became friends.

Yes I knew what you meant. I'm not talking down to people, I'm telling them the truth. Life is tough. Sometimes life seems just about impossible. It does take strength. I believe in building self esteem instead of telling people they are too dumb to do it themselves, which is what PA does imo.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 3:31 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Disagree, clearly you have never had a complete hardship that lasted six months to a year and constantly felt like the walls were going to come down crashing on top of you and your children. I think that it is hard enough to get it now, and that for American working families who need it in a time of emergency then it should be available.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 1:20 PM on May. 15, 2010

• i know wewould starve and be homeless wihout it so i disagree wihu
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 1:21 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Plus haven't you ever head of people being OVER qualified? Who are suppose to get those jobs that you are talking about? Are you going to tell a college educated person sorry you can't find a job in your field why don't you go and try picking some strawberries? Do you think that is going to sustain the living that they have acquired which they will lose either way?
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 1:22 PM on May. 15, 2010

• I think it would mean the death of a lot more children. Because kids can't help it if their parents are deadbeats. And there are some adults that just won't change. I think the system needs to be redone, but it's there for people who get into a really hard place. I've never needed it, and I hope never to need it, but my husband's family would've been screwed without it when he was little because his mom's job could barely make their rent, and there was nothing left over for utilities or food. His dad was a deadbeat and didn't help out at all. PA saved them.
    Anonymous

• i disagree because i think some people truley need the help, but i think that there should be people working for the state that help to locate jobs for people on PA, and if the people on PA refuse to take these jobs, they should be cut off.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:24 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Sounds like you're upset because you got turned down for assistance. We get medical for our daughter, who is 5. And thank goodness we do, because after two emergency helicopter flights, several nights over the years in a specialty hospital, and special heart meds, she has racked up over $200,000 in medical charges, and that's not counting the usual sickness/checkup and shots visits to the pediatrician. I don't work right now, I lost my job last August, and have put in over 100 applications at the "menial" jobs out there, I don't think I'm "too good" to do any job. I've just not been hired yet, and have stopped looking in March when my daughter had to have two heart surgeries in a week. I HAVE to stay home with her, to watch that her heart condition doesn't come back. Just because a family gets help, doesn't mean they are lazy and don't want to work, some can't.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:26 PM on May. 15, 2010

• blah blah blah
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 1:27 PM on May. 15, 2010

• purplbutterfly, that is a great idea. Gosh, we are on foodstamps at the moment and we are both looking for work. It has been so dam hard. It would be nice to have someone on your side helping you look for work and maybe getting your foot in the door.
    Anonymous

• I disagree. I lost my job when I was 5 months pregnant and even though I went to several interviews, I was unable to find another job while I was pregnant. I'm not on it now and haven't been for some time, but I don't know what I would have done without PA. I just think it needs to be regulated more closely.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 1:33 PM on May. 15, 2010