Why do spankers act like they are proud of spanking?

It's really disturbing:

"Yup, I whoop @ss, and nobody is going to tell me it's wrong!"
"If my child doesn't listen, I spank them in public! I don't care what other people think!"

And so on.

I wouldn't be so proud of physically striking a kid, but that's just me.

I don't spank my tot, and don't ever plan on doing it either.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:18 PM on May. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• june-kitten - If you can't control your kids without resorting to violence then you shouldn't have kids. It seems highly unlikely that someone could be a good parent to 4 kids and then just lose control when number 5 comes along. Once you realize that you have more kids than you can parent you need to be a responsible adult and stop breeding. Having more kids than you can deal with isn't good for you, isn't good for those around you, and it definitely isn't good for the kids.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 5:26 PM on May. 15, 2010

• ispankonly in adangeroussituation. idont brag about it
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 1:21 PM on May. 15, 2010

• i agree with you. i dont know whats wrong with them. they are freaks.
    anybody who is proud of causing physical harm on there own children, needs to get there @ss whooped.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:22 PM on May. 15, 2010

• i totally agree with you i find it very disturbing when i see people leave comments like that..and even worse when i see a parent actually hit them....i think there is a better solution then having to spank your child...like give them a warning that you dont like what they are doing then if they dont listen put them in time out!
    I could never imagine spanking my dd, and my husband is the same way,,we dont agree with spanking!
    Anonymous

• I did spank my kids. I'm not proud or ashamed of it. Any more than I'm proud or ashamed of the fact that I also used time outs and grounding (among other things) as a form of discipline.

I think though, that what you're interpreting as "proud" is really more a response to the fact that many people who do not believe in spanking often pass judgments and make scathing and nasty comments about those that do believe in spanking.

Whether or not you believe in it, it's a legal form of discipline, and, when done properly (not in anger, not as a last resort, not in response to any and everything, etc), it is also an effective form. If it's not one you choose to use, no problem, it's your child and your choice.

Like I said though, I think it's less that they are proud of it and more that they aren't ashamed of it and won't be bullied into feeling so.

just my opinion though
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:24 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Good luck with that, careful you don't fall off your horse. Come back and share how it worked out with you when you have five kids all under ten. :) K...thanks.
    Anonymous

• Oh, that having been said though, I do have to add, that there are ignorant people that take all forms of parenting to the extreme. I've met some pretty stupid people who are way too quick to spank their children - though not to the form of abuse (sadly, I've also seen - and reported - that). I've also met some pretty ignorant people who went to the other extreme, and NEVER punished their children in any way (other than to just look at them sadly and say "don't do that...").

Both are wrong and are unfair to the children - just in different ways. The key, whether you spank or not, is to have clear, consistent, rules, with clear, consistent consequences for actions - good and bad.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:29 PM on May. 15, 2010

• my mom used to be like that
    ranting about "spanking" me
    little did everyone know she didnt spank me, she beat the shit out of me everyday since I was 2 or 3 til I was 12 and finally scared the shit out of her and pinned her to the ground and threatened to hit her back...lol

now that BITCH has no one but her self and her stupid ass BF who cheats on her with prostitutes
    and she is not allowed alone with her own grand child

BE PROUD MOM, YEAH REAL PROUD
    Anonymous

• Anon:24 - If you can't handle 5 kids then maybe you need to think about keeping your legs together. I know people with 5 and more kids who are perfectly capable of raising them right without hitting them.

It's a disgusting attitude. If I ever hit my child I'd be horribly ashamed of myself and I'd be apologizing to him, not hopping on the internet to brag about what a crappy parent I am.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 1:29 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Just because a person isn't ashamed of something they do, doesn't make them oh so proud of it. There is a big difference between spanking and hitting a kid.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:30 PM on May. 15, 2010