Question for the Muslim women - Where do I find an English Koran that is most accurately translated from the Arabic?

proud2Bmomma

Asked by proud2Bmomma at 1:24 PM on May. 15, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I read one that has a transliteration as well as an Englis Translation by Dr. Muhammed Taqi-ud-Din Al-Hilali and Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan from the Islamic University of Al-Madinah published from Darussalam in Riyadh Saudi Arabic. The ISBN 9960-740-79X you can find it on Amazon.com, this is the one that I have seen in every masjid I have gone to.
    NCMommy2be

Answer by NCMommy2be at 1:32 PM on May. 15, 2010

• What would be the purpose of the transliteration? I guess I don't know what that is.
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 1:34 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Good question, a transliteration is the Arabic word written in English how to say it. So not translated from but HOW to say it in Arabic. This is VERY important for those who do not speak Arabic so they can recite the Quran in Arabic.
    NCMommy2be

Answer by NCMommy2be at 1:40 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Gotcha. That would not be an important feature to me. I just want a Koran that is an accurate translation.
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 1:42 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Does anybody know anything about this site?

http://www.freekoran.com/
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 1:53 PM on May. 15, 2010

• I don't trust free quran websites, if you would like one free go to your local mosque and they will give you one totally free as well as pamplets about Islam, the 5 pillars, praying, women, ect. You can even call them and ask them to mail you one and they will.
    NCMommy2be

Answer by NCMommy2be at 1:59 PM on May. 15, 2010

• The Hilali- Khan translation is controversial. Many Islamic websites address this issue. I have never seen it in a masjid I have been to, in translation it adds words in English that are deffinitly not part of the original Arabic begining right in Fatiha.

Anonymous

• Anon - so what Koran do you recommend? This is why I'm asking the question. In Christianity, there is wide controversy about accurate Bible translations. I have no doubt this would be true of the Koran. I want something that is going to most accurately reflect the fundamental teachings of the Koran. I do not want a "watered down" Koran.
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 2:07 PM on May. 15, 2010

• At this website there are three translations side by side. http://www.usc.edu/schools/college/crcc/engagement/resources/texts/
    Once the Quran is translated it is no longer considered the Quran. It is considered someones interpretation of the Quran. The controversy with the Hilali-Khan translation is the addition of words in English that are not there in Arabic. Such as the condemnation of Jews and Christians in some verses yet in the Arabic in those same verses there is no mention of jews and Christians. In Islam since the revelation of the Quran was in Arabic ALL MUSLIMS learn enough Arabic to at least understand their prayers. Though Arabs only make up less than 20% of Muslims world wide 100% of Muslims pray in Arabic so that the meaning of the verses are not altered (like the hilali-khan version) in translation.
    Anonymous

• I have NEVER heard of that before about the translation I read. My husband bought it for me, I have seen it at every mosque I have been to, as well as every Islamic book shop from NC to Maryland, please PM me with more info you have about any controversy regarding this translation as I am VERY intrested.
    NCMommy2be

Answer by NCMommy2be at 8:08 PM on May. 15, 2010