i'm not going to abuse her...i'm just going to beat her

I heard this in a store today. a little girl, maybe 2-3 years old dropped and smashed a bottle of nail polish. It got all over the floor, the mom's shoes and the stroller. accidents happen of course, but the mom was pissed, kept saying I am going to beat you when we get to the hotel since there are camera's in the store. there was an employee near them, hanging around till someone came to clean it up. since she was there, the mom made it a point to say "oh i'm not going to abuse her...just beat her". I was speechless. I dont like confrontation...but would you have intervened?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on May. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

• There's not a whole lot you can do in a situation like that.

I'm pretty non confrontational as well so I probably would have just given a disapproving look.
    I also probably would have gotten out some baby wipes(because I always seem to have some in my bag, lol) and start trying to clean it up.
    I wouldn't have said anything to the mom but as I was wiping it up I'd smile and say "It's no big deal, just an accident." to the little girl so she wouldn't feel so bad.

Sometimes parents don't realize how they come across in public. It sometimes takes someone else to offer a little perspective.
    She may have been embarrassed or maybe this is a common thing her child does and she was frustrated.
    I know I've been at the end of my rope several times and have told my kids I'm going to sell them to the gypsies.
    I don't mean it(obviously) but I do get frustrated.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 2:12 PM on May. 15, 2010

• i would have called the police on her and yes interveined...2 year olds cant speak up for themselves...they depend on the rest of us
    Anonymous

• op here: the little girl didnt seem frightened by the threats at all...she was in her own little world. as they walked off she was whining, so I think she was ready for a nap and the threats were in one ear out the other
    Anonymous

• Sounds to me like the kid has heard it before and it doesn't happen. My aunt does that with my little cousin. She's 4 now but would say if you don't stop I'm going to break your legs and whatever. My cousin will now say I know she won't I'm not scared. ....I HOPE THAT IS ALL IT WAS!!!!!!!!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 2:26 PM on May. 15, 2010

• I have a girlfriend who likes to say the phrase "beat your ass"- it's embarrassing to witness. However, knowing her rather closely- she never spanks her kids. She threatens them and nags and yells which is probably why they never listen to anything she says. I wouldn't have intervened only because, especially if the kid seemed like they could care less- it was probably just another empty threat. Some people just don't have the capability of disciplining effectively and resort to violent threats. I cannot tell you how many times my Mom was going to "KILL YOU FOR THIS!" growing up. Yet, my sister and I never once got a spanking from her.
    Anonymous

• Continued from 2:50-
    I also want to add that going from the store to the hotel probably gave Mom a lot of calm down time.
    Anonymous

• geez anon 2:29...sounds like someone has a guilty conscience
    Anonymous

• Perhaps the kid didn't seem fazed because she gets beaten so often? My mom was VERY abusive-- occasionally I'd see her get the side ee from other adults, but I only remember 1 person asking her to be a little nicer (my uncle) she went off on him & he retreated into his shell. Basically people won't put themselves out there 'cause it doesn't affect them directly and immediately.

But i believe we are all responsible for the world we live in -- maybe offer the mom a smile & alittle help cleaning up. let her know you understand and gently tell the LO that we all make mistakes. That way the mom doesn't become defensive & possibly more violent.
    atltrainer

Answer by atltrainer at 3:10 PM on May. 15, 2010

• MYOB
    Anonymous

• I WAS TAKING A WALK TODAY AND I TOLD MY SON I WAS GOING TO WACK HIM WHEN WE GET HOME! HE WENT IN THE ROAD ON HIS BIKE.. NEEDLESS TO SAY I WAS JUST SAYING WORDS, NO WACKING..LOL. BUT I BETTER WATCH WHAT I SAY I GOT A FEW DIRTY LOOKS..
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 4:03 PM on May. 15, 2010