facebook friends

my daughter(9)(10 in june) has a facebook account and I look over everything for her and she had a friend request and the persons profile picture was two girls kissing, and she said omg are they lesbians. How are these people finding her profile, all her account settings is a high a possible, and I look for her and can't find her, it is for family use only for her and her half brothers and my exs family to communicate through. WTH.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:26 PM on May. 15, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• DELETE HER ACCOUNT.....Facebook TERMS OF SERVICE CLEARLY STATE THAT SHE MUST BE 13 to have a page. SHE LIED ABOUT HER AGE and YOU LET HER!!!

What the hell is wrong with parents that do this!!!!????????
    Anonymous

• *****OP HERE****my exs family only contacts her through facebook, because they are idoits and think I am queen b&^ch from planet HE**, so I made her an account and lots of kids her age have facebook, are they suppose to delete their accounts too?
    Anonymous

• Anon :33 chill out....if you had read it is just for family use plus mom checks to make sure everything is ok...calm down...i dont see nothing wrong with what she has done..

to the mommy who posted this question there will always be someone that will be able to find her, i have all me settinf totally on privacy but they still find me, but in order for people to add her she has to accept there friend request, so tell her not to accept anyone until you go threw them and you guys know who they are! Good luck!
    Anonymous

• It is probably a facebook friend of one of her facebook friends. I don't know 1/3 of my faceboook friends and they invite me because we have a mutual friend and play the same games.
    Why don't you go through all of her friends, friends profiles and look at their friends to see if they came from there?
    Anonymous

• Yes all those that have accounts that are UNDER age (13) should have their accounted deleted! Just because so-so does it to doesn't mean that it's acceptable, okay, or appropriate. There are rules and regulations for a reason. As for how they found your daughter? I don't know much about facebook and how that all works, seeing I personally refuse to have an account because facebook as SERIOUS privacy issues. However I'm sure from what little bit I do know that anonymous is on to something when she suggested that perhaps this person is a friend of a friend, or they found her through or friends profile, or found her while she was playing a facebook game. Personally I would delete her facebook account and tell family they can reach your DD via email. Then I would give my child a zilladog.com email account.

SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 5:20 PM on May. 15, 2010

• My sister is 9 and has one. I have my email address set up on her account as the one to send everything to. Then, I call my mom and run the names of people by her, and she tells me the ones to accept. They don't have a computer, and my sister only accesses her account while either here, or at a friend's house. If she is found to have talked to someone she knows not to, or done anything to break the family rules, mom has me change her account password so it can't be accessed until her grounding is over.
    Anonymous

• Oh boy, yet another person saying what is wrong with parents these days, get off your high horse! anyways to the OP. Dont delete her page if what your saying is true and its only for family members and close friends. Its good that you are watching what she is doing on there. Facebook is not something that people need to get all upset over as long as you completely private everything, and it seems you did. Just keep checking it, and deleting anything you dont like. If she abuse it once, then take it down and dont put it back up. But as far as someone finding her, they can find her through her friends or family. You need to make sure people cant view her friends, and make is so no one can message her except friends on her list already.
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 7:20 PM on May. 16, 2010

• Personally, if its just for family contact, delete the facebook profile. that is silly.

make her an e-mail account that you know the password to and all that - just make sure its not her name in the e-mail address it drives me insane when i see e-mails janedoe@yahoo.com. then if the family sees internet communication as the only way to contact her and keep in touch, they can do it through e-mail without the profiles and chatting features and all that.

My SO and I deleted my SD's Facebook account and reported her myspace account because we didnt have the e-mail to delete it ourselves. She is 9 and has no reason to be on those networking sites.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:35 PM on May. 16, 2010

• I wouldn't delete her account. My daughter is 9 and she wants an account on Facebook. I will get her one, too. We have family strung out all across the United States and this will be a good way for her to keep in contact with them. I will monitor it and decide who she adds and doesn't add. It is for family and her friends from school, that's it...

I would say she was found threw one of her friends. That's how I can find a lot of my friends. I just go through their friends lists.
    Anonymous

• My dd that is 10 has one. I and her father both have links to it and she is only on it when I allow. But I get friend suggestions all of the time of people that I don't know. Facebook suggests friends for you. I have to say that I have been getting things for singles and blacks from facebook on my email and yet I show I am married and there is nothing about me being black even conseidering that I have pics with me tagged and I am white. So I would suggest that facebook does what they want. There is not a problem with the kids having them. The problem is that some people like to put on anything that they want and so facebook wants to limit it so that parents can't complain that their kid read something that someone put on there! So if you feel that the people that your kids get messages from don't are not appropriate than you need to delete them not the account!!
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 8:53 AM on May. 18, 2010