ready to potty train, but doesnt talk all that well yet...

my son is about 25 months old and seems very ready for potty training. He'll be in the middle of playing or he'll come up to me/SO and say "eww" or "uh oh" and seconds later he'll go right there. I decided to go ahead and buy potty training supplies and we are on day 2. Mostly accidents, but I try to lead him to the potty when he's about to go. we made it to the potty mid-flow yesterday, and i hope we'll be succesfull like that more often. Since he doesnt talk to much I feel like i have to really help him, but let him take the lead. Is that the right mindframe? any suggestions or success stories for potty training at this age?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:36 PM on May. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would still talk to him about it a lot. Even if he doesn't say much he probably understands most of what you tell him as long as you keep it simple. And maybe teach him a sign to use for needing to go potty. Then you make the sign whenever you talk about or say potty too, so that he has a way to communicate needing to go without having to say something. That would help too if he is with someone else, you can just tell them to watch for him to give the sign or to make the sign when they ask him if needs to go. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:52 PM on May. 15, 2010

• It sounds like he is trying to talk.Has his hearing been checked?sometimes kids who can't hear as well are like that.Keep talking to him.He will catch up.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 9:54 PM on May. 15, 2010