I saw a homeless man begging for money off a freeway exit with his child sitting on his shoulders.. =(

I felt so bad.. the little boy looked like he was the same age as my dd.. maybe around 2. we couldn't reach him from where we were on the road & they were gone when we came back after our short trip to the store. it brought me to tears. i didn't know what to do. i wanted to give a donation, but calling authorities crossed my mind but i couldn't bring myself to do it. they didn't look dirty or sick.. they were still dressed in nice clothing, clean shoes.. i didn't want to be responsible for ripping his family apart. what would you have done?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:40 PM on May. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The safety of the child would be my concern. Being by the freeway is no place for the child. Call the authorities would be proper thing to do.  Let them decide what the outcome would be.  Safety first.

Anonymous

• Maybe gave them some food they could be staying in a shelter too you never know.
    lendales_mommi

Answer by lendales_mommi at 3:46 PM on May. 15, 2010

• I would have called cps. The kids safety comes first.

Anonymous

• How do you know they were homeless?

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 3:56 PM on May. 15, 2010

• that breaks my heart. one day, i want to open a soup kitchen for people in need. maybe a safe place for them to stay. especially the ones with children. their are so many homeless and hungry children. it is sad that in such a wealthy country there should be so much waste and so many people who are hungry and homeless. it also pisses me off that one family owns HALF of the WORLD'S wealth. maybe we need another golf course or shopping mall...

but back to your question...when i see that sort of thing, i try to give them food and water if i can. if you are on the freeway, it might be hard to stop and get to them or maybe you are in a rush to get to work or pick up kids from school. sometimes stopping is not an option. but when it is, do. you would be surprised to discover how many people had every day lives and jobs, and lost them. if you can, offer to take them to a shelter. then keep in touch. you will be blessed.
    june_kitten

Answer by june_kitten at 3:56 PM on May. 15, 2010

• June_kitten i like your answer.... I work at a homeless youth shelter..i could go on for days......please help feed the kids!!!!!
    Anonymous

• People use their kids to panhandle all the time. It draws sympathy. Not saying this is necessarily the case, but not everyone you see out begging with a kid in tow is truly in need. I'd rather donate money to a homeless shelter so I know it goes where its intended.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:11 PM on May. 15, 2010

• This happened to me once and it was a homeless woman holding up a sign and she had a 6 yr. old little boy with her. They were out on the road going up and down a small strip trying to get money. I could not get over to their side, it literally broke my heart. They did not look clean. I did call the police and report it, of course I would never want to split up a family. This child's safety was my biggest concern. They told me they would send a police officer out to talk with them.
    Anonymous

• I would give them some food and a couple dollars. I know some people who are on the side of the road begging will just go buy some beer but I would rather hand them food and money and hope they would use it for the right reasons.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 4:21 PM on May. 15, 2010

• I saw a young father yesterday and his wife and toddler were on the grass a couple feet away. They did not look homeless at all which made it even sadder to me for some reason, like they had just now fallen on hard times.
    trippyhippy

Answer by trippyhippy at 5:12 PM on May. 15, 2010