Anyone else feel this way? Gift giving

Before I had kids and got married I worked and made pretty decent money. I always liked to buy my friends and their kids nice gifts for occassions. I never expected anything in return. One day my friend made a comment about people giving big gifts to 'SHOW OFF". I was kind of embarrassed. I felt like she meant it toward me. Do you get offended if someone buys you a nice gift?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:06 PM on May. 15, 2010 in Relationships

• I always make sure to buy nice gifts but it is not to show off. I just like seeing a persons eyes light up when they open a gift that they really love.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 4:11 PM on May. 15, 2010

• No I love it. And I love to buy gifts. I hate giftcards. Hate them.

onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 4:14 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Offended? I can't imagine that. I could see some people feeling embarassed for not being able to reciprocate though. I love buying gifts for people, but don't like getting them in return. I'm not buying someone something so that a person feels obligated, I'm doing it because I found something I thought they'd like.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:18 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Ginger0104 thats exactly why I did it! I think you're right maybe they got embarrased. I had one friend tell me it makes her UNCOMFORTABLE! I was like huh?? It was a gift for her daughter.

OP HERE
    Anonymous

• I like nice gifts and like to give them we had the same problem to with my brother they were broke and we just did not want to leave them out so we gave them the same gifts we gave everyone and he complained we were trying to show off.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:23 PM on May. 15, 2010

• sounds like jealousy to me. when i used to make big bucks, i was friends with people who didn't. i used to do things like take us all out to a fancy dinner with our kids & spend a few hundred bucks - let the kids run around in a sectioned-off area & play with each other, let t moms get out and relax, enjoy some grown-up time & enjoy luxuries they couldn't normally afford. i did that because i loved them. i also made sure that if they needed things for themselves or their children that they had them... like when my bff's man beat her up and left her high and dry with baby, we went on a shopping spree 4 car seat, monitor, and all that stuff... not to show off, but because i COULD do that for her. since then tables have turned & these r people who've helped me in return in various ways. it's what friends do. i understand that some people feel like they must reciprocate, though. save t expensive stuff for good friends who undrstnd
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 4:36 PM on May. 15, 2010

• If I was not planing on getting them anything, I get upset. Because then I have to go out and get something for them.

Answer by louise2 at 5:12 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Occasions like b-days and holidays are fine with me, but I have a friend who seems to have a gift for DD and/or myself every time we hang out. I can't figure out why she does this, it's totally unnecessary, and to be honest it makes me uncomfortable. I like hanging out with her & I would be just as good of a friend if she never spent a penny on us... probably a better friend actually because I sometimes avoid going around her because I can't do the same and I hate that she feels the need to "buy" us. I don't feel like she's showing off, but at the same time I don't know why she does it or even why she won't stop when I've asked her to. I've never encountered this issue before meeting her, she doesn't seem to want anything in return, but I still wish she would save gift giving for holidays or birthdays... and just provide friendship in between those times.
    Ashes0813

Answer by Ashes0813 at 6:06 AM on May. 16, 2010

• OMG THERE GOES LOUISE W HER "ANSWERS" LOL
    Anonymous