Can you iron a graduation gown?

Ok, so I hung up my graduation gown last week and it is still wrinkled. Graduation is in three weeks but it's that weird material and I'm afraid it will melt if I try to iron it....any ideas? I haven't hung it in the steamy bathroom yet...that's the next thing I'll try.

mamasitax2

Asked by mamasitax2 at 4:07 PM on May. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

• NO! My friend tried to iron hers and the material was ruined. They usually tell you when they hand it to you not to iron it. You can put it in the dryer with no heat or very low heat which may help.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 4:10 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Put it in a cool dryer with a damp towel

Answer by rkoloms at 4:37 PM on May. 15, 2010

• You could steam it. My iron has a steam function. You just hang the garment and press the steam button. If that isn't an option iron it on the INSIDE but put a handkerchief, napkin or pillow case over the garment so the iron doesn't touch the gown directly

Answer by admckenzie at 5:22 PM on May. 15, 2010

• what you have to do is throw a towel on top of it and iron the towel. The heat goes through the towel but doesn't burn the gown.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 5:44 PM on May. 15, 2010

• You could also try hanging it in the bathroom and turning on the shower to full heat and closing the door. It should take about 5 mins. Also downey make and anti wrinkle spray.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 6:29 PM on May. 15, 2010

• DO NOT IRON IT NO MATTER WHAT IT WILL MELT.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 7:34 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Heres what I did with mine.. Hang it on the back of the door while you take a shower with the door closed, it will have the same affect as an iron but with out the pressed heat! and it wont get runied.
    Anonymous

• Yes you can. Mine was ironed day of graduation. Just have to put something between the iron and the gown.
    newfound09

Answer by newfound09 at 1:06 AM on May. 16, 2010

• So I am sure at this point you don't know what to do because you are getting a ton of mixed answers. Some of which are great suggestions and worth trying if other things are not working. I still remember when I had my graduation gown a long time ago. My parent's turned the iron down to one of the lowest settings and ironed the gown. It will work but, it is just takes patient and time to make it successfully work. Free free to try whichever steps you feel will work the best.
    momof349

Answer by momof349 at 8:43 AM on May. 18, 2010