Is it say something to you that the two women and the supreme court Sotomayor and Kagan don't have any children?

Ginsburg is leaving so the two women who stay have no children. Meanwhile all the men in the supreme court all are fathers.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:42 PM on May. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I know several 50+ year old well educated and very successful career women who have zero children. My SIL is a retired AF Colonel, who is married and childless. You know why? She was the oldest daughter in a large family-she was her mom's handmaiden. Her exact words, "I raised a family already"-her 5 brothers and 1 sister- To each her own.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 8:45 PM on May. 15, 2010

• ...What's your point? Some women don't want children. Big whoopty-friggin'-doo.
    Anonymous

• LOL.....so?
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 4:48 PM on May. 15, 2010

• "For the first time in history, three women could sit on the Supreme Court. If it happens, two of them will be childless. Whatever the reason for this personal decision by Justice Sonya Sotomayor and recently nominated Elena Kagan, there's a subtle, yet powerful, message being sent to working women across the nation: If you want a perch at the pinnacle of your profession, it's easier without kids. "
    huffingtonpost
    Anonymous

• It says to me they chose to not have children. Good for them for not caving to the pressure of society.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:57 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Certainly there is no requirement that every Justice sitting on the court be a parent. But on a powerful body full of fathers, is it too much to ask that we have one mother as a member of the Supreme Court?

I would posit that there are an enormous number of problems in our country that have or will come before the Supreme Court in which motherhood is a critically important detail. From abortion to discrimination in the workplace to future technologies concerning genetic engineering and beyond, women and the decisions they make (or don’t get to make) about becoming mothers to sons and daughters will be burning issues in Supreme Court jurisprudence. Mothers in our society are often forced to make complicated decisions about their lives and those of their children that are not necessarily faced by childless women or even fathers for that matter. And since 1981, continue
    Anonymous

• continue
    ...........the Court has had the benefit of having a mother involved in deliberations on these issues, starting with Justice Sandra Day O’Connor, who was later joined by Ginsburg.
    Anonymous

• it is true anon...a lot of things are easier with out children...like studying in school, holding a nice paying job, getting a break...lol
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 5:23 PM on May. 15, 2010

• so.................Why do all women have to be mothers? I doubt that every one man in the supreme are fathers. I'm sure there is a couple that aren't.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:32 PM on May. 15, 2010

• I would rather that they have judicial experience than be able to put 'Mother / Father' on their resume. I really don't care if someone has kids, I don't think that being able to procreate makes one eligible for a seat on the supreme court. They should follow laws and the constitution.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:33 PM on May. 15, 2010