What to do to protect our chidren from strangers?

I've been taking my son for Toddler Time at the Public Library. For the program Moms leave the strollers in the children's section and then we are told to go upstairs to a conference room here is where the program takes place.

We decided to leave early and when back to the children's section to get the stroller when I notice a tall man standing by the book shelfs reading children's books. This is the second time I've seen him doing this. I was wondering if this could look suspicious to you. Is the man waiting for an opportunity to snatch our children. Call me crazy but thousands of children have been kidnapped and is because we trust toooo much in humanity.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:51 PM on May. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Children are more likely to be kidnapped by someone they know-not a strang man reading books in the children's section.

Before I had my daughter, I sometimes wandered over to the children's section, because I used to teach young kids and enjoyed looking at some of the books I used to read to them.

At our local park, there is a man who sits in a swinging bench near the swimming area, and watches the kids swim. You would automatically think he's some sort of perv, but he's just a nice old man who reminisces about his young grandchildren (who live far away). Totally innocent. My daughter greets him everytime we see him. I'm not going to teach her to be afraid of him.

Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:34 PM on May. 15, 2010

• I don't know. It could be odd but he could have a kid there. You never know!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 4:53 PM on May. 15, 2010

• He might be a father trying to find a good book for his child too. Maybe tell the Librarian about your concerns.

Answer by louise2 at 4:55 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Not really that weird - I mean my daughter's father takes her to the library all the time, he'll stop and look at kids books.
    Anonymous

• it prob is a dad but if your worried talk to the librarian and she will prob let you know! I understand how you feel though, I don't trust suspicious ppl.... GL!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 5:09 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Talk to the Director of the Library so he/she can be watching too.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:17 PM on May. 15, 2010

• I don't trust anyone! I'd mention it to the staff.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 5:18 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Mention to the staff. He might just be a dad. I protect my children from strangers by not keeping them out of my sight and always at arms reach. (they are 2 and under) When they get older I will teach them ot to talk to strangers no matter what unless mommy or daddy is with them by their side.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:30 PM on May. 15, 2010