How do you keep your 2 year old from not staring or pointing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:11 PM on May. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Not? huh?
    Anonymous

• Diversion. Talk to the child and get him/her to look at you. I used to take my son's pointer and pull it to my face away from whatever he was pointing to. I'd kiss it then tickle him and talk to him to divert his attention. Small children have a short attention span. If all else fails, remove the child from the situation if they are starring or pointing at a person; however, remember that they mean no harm when they do that. They are just learning and exploring this new world and trying to show you what they found.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:16 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Usually when my son is pointing or staring, its because another child is having a breakdown, and my son's very affecionate, so he's always wanting to help, so I explain that his child wants to be left alone or they dont want to be stared at, so we go off and play, he usually takes this well, but if he continues to stare or point, Ill divert his attention with a game, or just take him elsewhere .
    colbysmommie95

Answer by colbysmommie95 at 5:50 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Toddlers stare. It's no big deal.

As far as the pointing, I tell my daughter not to point at people, but to wave at them instead. Usually she is pointing at someone because she wants to wave at them.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:30 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Make it a lesson. Why are they pointing? Is someone acting up? Remind your child (quietly, of course) that we don't act that way. Does someone look different? Explain why and how important it is that we are understanding about everyone.

Children are curious- the world is a big place and they only see a small part of it. :-) They don't know the "rules" and need to be taught- but they need to understand their world as well... as the mother, this is your opportunity.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 9:31 PM on May. 15, 2010

• wait till they are 4 or 5 and start to really notice differances AND dont yet have a filter for there mouths.. staring and pointing at 2 is the least of ur worries.. they mean no harm and they dont understand they are just curious..
    Anonymous

• if they are staring or pointing at someone bc they have something wrong with them (like they are handicapped, very obese, things like that), then i just make it a positive thing and say see, everybody's different somehow. but we're all still people right? so you have to treat them the same as your other friends. usually it's a non-issue.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:45 PM on May. 15, 2010

• At that age it is pretty normal, I just redirect their attention. Now if DH would stop doing it that would help!
    niehoff9

Answer by niehoff9 at 12:07 AM on May. 16, 2010

• A toddler doesn't know any better. At this point in time you just need to provide a distraction so they don't continue to do it. Later, when they are a little older, you can begin to explain why it's not a good idea to do these things.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 8:29 PM on May. 21, 2010