Is it true that having multiple children takes the stress away?

I asked mother how did she manage 6 kids.
My mom said that it was easy since all us would take care of each other. Which is true I used to see my older sister as the person who used to take care of me when mom wasn't around. Who knew?
In the meantime I have two kids and I keep wondering how did my mother handle 6? LOL

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:48 PM on May. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• Who know's!??! I have 3 and some days it's great they play together and entertain eachother other days it's maddness! Tattling, fighting, whinning and screaming. They need everything done for them, like tonight my almost 6 year needed help to sit on the toilette and pooh, are you kidding me!? But ofcourse there are the days that they get into so much mischief together and are so flippin cute and sweet to eachother that you can't help but laugh when you see what they've done!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:23 PM on May. 15, 2010

• I figured it would be the opposite.. lol
    Anonymous

• You mean like the Duggar family. They have so may kids the kids are raising the kids.

Answer by louise2 at 5:54 PM on May. 15, 2010

Exactly.
    Anonymous

• My two are little still....2 and a half years, and 11 months...and it is helpful because they keep each other entertained
    Anonymous

• "keep each other entertained"

Those were the words I was thinking too!
    Anonymous

• It is the opposite. If I had one child, one kid to spend ALL the time with, no sharing anything, it would be so much easier. I can't imagine no fighting or arguing. No screaming and yelling. No tattling. What my world be like if it wasn't full of crazy kids running around all day long. I can tell you it would be easier, but it would not be better. However, my plan is not for my kids to take care of each other. I am the parent, I will be the one to make sure they have everything they need and all their chores are done.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 8:41 PM on May. 15, 2010

• My mother had 6 too and I thought she acted crazy when we were young. She would get all upset and say she quit being our mother and cry. But I don't know how stressed she could have been since she never took an interest in us or even knew where we were and what we were doing. We would leave the house after breakfast and come back for dinner. Maybe she was just bored because she never learned to drive and was stuck home all day.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 8:46 PM on May. 15, 2010

• It works both ways I think. When you have one child, you are the only one there to keep them busy. They need you all the time. BUT, they have no one to fight with, no one to compete with, no one to hurt, no one to break their toys...

On the other hand, if you have two, they keep each other busy, you have more "you" time, although not in the beginning. And you have an extra pair of eyes once they get a bit older. BUT, they DO have someone to fight with, compete with, hurt and break their toys...

Pros and Cons on both sides...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:00 PM on May. 15, 2010

• I have 5 kids. There is some truth to what your mom said. My kids play with each other and help each other and don't need ME to keep them entertained or assist them for the most part, and my time can be utilized better. I actually have a friend that used to "borrow" my kids to keep her ONE child entertained so that she could get things done around the house. I know when I have the kids' friends over I cringe at the thought of 8 kids or more, but the reality is that the extra kids are really not that much more work, just extra food.

Keep in mind, also, that as kids get older they're usually not as much physical work to care for them. They can dress themselves, feed themselves, don't need diapers changed, and can follow rules better than when they were infants/toddlers/small children. We have more time now to spend doing fun things than we did when they were younger.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:12 PM on May. 15, 2010