I NEED QUICK ANSWERS ABOUT DOMESTIC VIOLENCE!!!!

My sister called me to see where the police station is in her town. She and her BF got into an argument. They were screaming at each other, and her BF pushed her down. My sister got back up, he started to come at her again in a rage, so she slapped him - because she said it looked like he was going to push her again or hit her. Then he pushed her down and got on top of her and started slapping her in the face repeatedly. What I want to know is if she was to go to the police station, would she get into trouble for this? I really believe she slapped him because he was coming at her, but IDK if she will get into trouble as well for this. She also says she doesn't want the police in her apartment because the apartment is messed up from when they got into an altercation. But I am thinking if they do go after her BF they will be going there to pick him up. Am I right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:58 PM on May. 15, 2010 in Relationships

• Call the police and send them over. They will figure things out, but will take BOTH of them into custody not just him. She'll need to provide a statement.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:01 PM on May. 15, 2010

• she's not going to get in any trouble for slapping him, you don't even need to tell them that. if he says she hit him, they won't believe him if she denies it. men who abuse always say the woman did something to them. if he police go get him he will spend at least one night in jail. get the cops out there asap.
    flaggot13

Answer by flaggot13 at 6:01 PM on May. 15, 2010

• It was self defense. He'd already laid his hands on her. She won't get in trouble for it.
    Anonymous

• The police will only write a report as Domestic Disturbance. If you press charges you have to tell them on what basis?
    Anonymous

• Thank you.... She actually had to leave the house because he was not going to let her leave. She ended up sneaking out with her child... When she called, she was driving around in circles looking for the police department -she is new to the town- I looked up the number so she could pull over and call them from her cellphone. I am just so scared. She lives about 2 hrs away from me, and I have no transportation at the moment, so I am just sitting and waiting. This is killing me. I hope everything is going to be OK.
    Anonymous

• Here is the deal. If she slapped him she will get charges filed against her as well. The police will end up filing charges against both of them for domestic violence and assault. Since she hit him there is not much they will do. When a man beats a woman the sad truth is the man usually won't even get any jail time. If he does its like 30 days and he gets out in 2 weeks. This is why the problem is such a large one. The risk she'll be taking by calling is that he'll get angry about it and beat the hell out of her much worse than he did this time and two she'll get in trouble too. Sick system but thats how it is. Her best bet is to pack her things and relocate and end all contact with the man. She needs to change her phone numbers, not go back to him, lock her facebook and myspace and say goodbye. Thats her best bet at protection.
    Anonymous

• Yep, she'd be arrested too. She hit him first.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:41 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Have her contact the National Domestic Violence Hotline: 800-799-SAFE (7233)

Answer by rkoloms at 10:45 PM on May. 15, 2010

• It depends on what the laws in that state are, where I live if a man pushed me down then when I got back up if he came at me again I could hit him and not get in trouble cause it was in self defense. They might take her in to question her but I doubt she'll get in trouble for it. But hie needs to go to jail for that or it could happen again and she might not be as lucky that time.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 1:01 AM on May. 17, 2010

• If you hit back it is self defense. I am a domestic violence victim. I survived a gun to my head. Thank God he did not shoot but it was cocked and loaded. I survived be almost strangled to death. I know what domestic violence is and I want to prevent it. Pls check out Domestic 911 my group on here. I am so willing to help anyone wither this has happened to you or someone you know. Pls join me in my fight. Thank you so much
    courtneyrogers

Answer by courtneyrogers at 4:04 PM on Nov. 17, 2010