when did you start time outs?

lambdarose

Asked by lambdarose at 6:10 PM on May. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• i started time out when my son started walking
    lovingheart26

Answer by lovingheart26 at 6:21 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Never. They don't work. check out Why time-outs don't work

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:36 PM on May. 15, 2010

• We don't use time outs.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 6:38 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Our oldest is turning 23 months old tomorrow and we just started last week. We are doing the one minute per year method. I have only had to do it 3 times, and I feel like he really gets it! (He has 12 month old twin siblings and the pushing and shoving is becoming a problem.) I feel like he needs a moment and needs to be redirected. So he sits, I then calmly explain why and I give him a hug.
    love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 7:41 PM on May. 15, 2010

• No offense to maggiemom, but that article sounds like a load of fluff to me. it seems like nowadays, whatever you do, you're a bad parent. If your kid is screaming and pitching a fit and you ignore it, you're neglegent. If you yell at them, you're unstable. If you spank them, you're a child abuser. If you give them a time-out, you're creating irreversable, deep-seeded self-esteem issues. Give me a break. Sometimes kids get into a vein where they simply refuse to listen, or be reasoned with, and the more you try, the worse it gets. To me, when the options are down to screaming, hitting, or making the child sit quietly on a chair for 3 minutes, the chair sounds the most reasonable.

My son is 9 months, so any kind of discipline won't be in the cards for quite some time.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 7:59 PM on May. 15, 2010

• if you dont use it. whay do you use?
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:17 PM on May. 15, 2010

• my kids were about 2 but when my daughter was 18 months or so she would hit and I'd say, "No hitting" turn her away from me and sit her on her bottom. Of course I didn't expect her to sit or have an official time out, just laying the ground work for when the time came.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:25 PM on May. 15, 2010

• 1 yo
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:28 PM on May. 15, 2010

• They've said you can do brief time-outs as young as 18months.  I think there are  moments when both parents and children need a time-out (to get away from a situation, get a cool head, and come back and deal with it/communicate appropriately).  See General Parenting/Discipline/Time Out section here http://www.cjkidz.com/parentsgrandparentsteachers.html

momjs

Answer by momjs at 9:31 PM on May. 15, 2010