would you have given these kids money or think they were scamming?

I was at sonics drive thru and 3 small children approached my car and said that they wanted to play baseball but their parents didnt have the money so they needed a sponsor or a donation so they could play. I asked what team they were playing for and they each gave a quick answer. I felt sorry and gave them each a dollar..my dh thinks i'm a sucker because he thinks their parents probably just sent them out to work for them. What do you think? would you have fell for it to with that sad of a story?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 7:50 PM on May. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

• I'd have to agree with your husband. Unfortunately you have to be skeptical, especially a time like this.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 7:52 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Sounds like a scam to me.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 7:53 PM on May. 15, 2010

• i agree with my dh too but i couldnt tell those kids no. I mean, what if the parents are sending them out to do some dirty work but those poor kids think that they are getting money to play baseball? Then the parents just let them down and take their money. I'd rather the parents just let them down. I don't want to see the hurt in a childs face telling them no. i know i'm a huge sucker when it comes to kids
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:56 PM on May. 15, 2010

• I don't give money to kids who are panhandling, and that includes the kids who stand out in front of the store with a bucket or a can asking for "donations" for their sports teams. If they want to play sports, they can EARN the money by washing cars, selling candy bars, cutting grass or having a bake sale. Playing sports is an extra curricular activity, not a charity. If my ten year old son can earn his way to camp by pulling weeds and cutting grass, then an athletic teenager can certainly earn money to play sports. I think it should be illegal for these kids to be begging for money like that.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 7:57 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Well i would have gave them a $1.00 also. It's a $1.00 big deal most people throw a $1.00 worth of pennies on the ground in a month or so. It sounds like a scam but I think it's a little over board that your hubby would think there parents sent them out to make money.
    Anonymous

• It sounds a little sketchy, but I'd have probably tossed them a buck or two as well. Is there no financial help for kids whose families can't afford sports? We have KidSport that will pay for kids to play, they don't pay for equipment, but will pay registration fees. My hubby used to be the president of the local youth football organisation so he had to sign off on some applications for this. I do think that extra curricular activities are extra, but I also think they do so much good for the kids. A kid who is at practice isn't out tagging.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 8:04 PM on May. 15, 2010

• I think most of the time it's a scam and I may be naive but I guess I would rather spare $5 and have it not go where it's supposed to than not give money and have them actually be in need.
    Sara.Robyson

Answer by Sara.Robyson at 8:05 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Beth, that's a really good point about kids just standing outside Target asking for money rather than work for it. Guess I don't see that too much.
    Sara.Robyson

Answer by Sara.Robyson at 8:07 PM on May. 15, 2010

• i dont think i could have said no to that. even if it was a scam. maybe you just helped those kids get on the team!
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 8:08 PM on May. 15, 2010

• I don't give money to kids who claim they are part of a sports team and have NO TEAM LOGO, or team flyer, etc etc to back it up. It's a SCAM!!!!
    Anonymous