Religon conflicting with work.....wierd question

I am a Catholic and although I could be a better one, my heart is always in the right place. I am proud that I always try to do the right thing...... On that note, my past two jobs were horrible. One was scamming people over the phone. Was told it was a Reception position. I quit that job immediately. My next job was at a daycare. They dont follow regulations and Im the only one that does..... It drives me up the wall that the kids arent being cared for the way they should......it puts me in a compromising position. I am currently looking for other work; but now that my resume shows two very short employments Im not getting hired. Im honest in my interviews, but my question is, am I being too honest when I state why I left the jobs? Both these jobs wont give me good reccomendations. I don't know I just feel like Ill never find any work out there that appreciates honesty and integrity.......

stefirose22

Asked by stefirose22 at 8:15 PM on May. 15, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• What did you do before those jobs? Could you just leave the first one off since you quit right away anyway?
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 8:19 PM on May. 15, 2010

• You are in an interesting situation. I suspect you aren't being hired because they are afraid you would feel the same about them. I'm not saying you are wrong, just the way people are.
    Anonymous

• During an interview I wouldn't say anything bad about a previous employer, no matter what.  You can always report your employer, even anonymously, if you feel the kids are being mistreated.  Remember right now job hunting is hard for everyone regardless of past employment problems.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:43 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Prospective employers don't want to hear the person being interviewed bad-mouth their previous employer. If they push, you can state what you've written here, that you believe in honesty and integrity. Employers like that.

If you worked for a company for a time so short that an interviewer wouldn't notice a gap, I wouldn't use it on my resume.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 8:52 PM on May. 15, 2010

• I would turn in that daycare. Regulations are there for a purpose. As far as the other one goes, I would not even mention it. Blessings..
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 10:16 PM on May. 15, 2010

• I could leave the receptionist position off, but I feel like i would be lying. As far as not saying things about my previous employment, I never bad talk however when I am asked about those jobs, I always say , "it's not proper interviewing etiquitte to speak poorly about my previous jobs." I feel that would be enough if Im being pushed, but i don't know. The rest of my resume is childcare which is good and bad. Good because it shows experience, but my last job was with a very "GOOD" named center. This kinda messes everything up for me because a poor review from such a "reputable" daycare leaves me a very slim chance to ever get hired by daycares in the area. Thank you all for your answers and support. Anything else you guys can think of, , any suggestions, would be awesome. Thanks God Bless!
    stefirose22

Answer by stefirose22 at 10:37 PM on May. 15, 2010

• "it's not proper interviewing etiquitte to speak poorly about my previous jobs."
    ********
    You have good intentions with this statement; but it's still basically telling them the same thing without the details.

For the first job; be honest: I was initially interviewed and hired for a reception position; when in reality it was a cold call/sales/telemarketing whatever it was; type of position; which is not what I'm comfortable or good at doing.

The daycare job again be honest; but with a twist; which isn't lying so much as omitting; which I know can be construed as lying by some but since your intent is pure and not malicious I don't think it counts - anyway something about their policies and practices and yours not being in line or agreement - something along those lines

Then IF they push for more details; give your line above

Good Luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on May. 16, 2010

• I understand your predicament. Honestly is the best policy, but during interviews you do have to edit yourself a bit. I agree with what anon^^ said about the receptionist job. I don't want to give you bad advice, so I hope I'm not here, but if it were me in your shoes I'd feel the need to tell the interviewer that the daycare didn't follow regulation and that you couldn't in good conscience continue to work for a child care facility that didn't. I think it would show that the reason you left is because you cared about the well being of the children not because of some disciplinary problem between you and your previous employer. You could actually say just that.

KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 1:28 AM on May. 16, 2010

• Honestly, I would just leave off the two jobs you were at for such short times. It is not lying, it is just leaving them off because you obviously did not stay long at all and you don't see them as contributing to your overall "job experience". I think it would be the best thing so you do not have an interviewer reading your resume and walking in with the attitude that there is no way they are going to hire you anyway.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:12 AM on May. 16, 2010

• the best course of action in this situation is to report your own work to the BBB and the state. Tell them what is going on, and ask them to step in for an inspection. (also try Osha). This will do one of three things... one: get the bosses attention to at least try to run a better establishment, two: at least you can put in your resume the actions you took to the correct the problems with the business, three: worst case scenario, you could be fired. But then again, you could file a suit afterwards, and/or maybe get a job with Osha. Seems you've seen enough to show your experience in that field at least :).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 5:35 PM on May. 16, 2010