how long should it take for a 7 and 5 yr old to clean their room, with only a few toys on the floor and unmade bed?

i told them 2 hrs ago to clean and everytime i leave the room they start goofing off and forget what they are suppose to be doing, so now the room is worse than ever. i shouldnt have to stand over them and tell them every 10 seconds to clean. it they would just done it it would of taken maybe 15 minutes. i had to help my 2 yr old with her room.
and any ideas on how to get them to get moving faster without hounding them? this happens everytime. even in school the teacher has to stand over them to do their assignments as soon as they help another student my boys start doodling or bouncin around....i need help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:14 PM on May. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• Assuming they know what to actually do and what is expect of them just a few minutes. Mine are 8 and 9 and I can tell them to clean their room and it's done within 10 minutes TOPS! Often it only takes them about 5 minutes or so. However, THAT didn't happen over night. I first had to tell them what was expect of them, how to do it, and watch them so that it was done. I at first had to tell them that meant pick up the toys off the floor and put them where they belong in their proper place. I had to be sure that they knew it meant to throw away any papers. When they tell me it's done I either give it the okay, or tell them to correct something. If I'm correcting them then I'm very specif on what it that is wrong. If you want them to clean their room, you have to be sure they know what it means and have a clear understanding of what is expected and HOW to do it! You can not just assume they know, they have to be taught FIRST!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 9:31 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Um, I did the SAME thing as them when I was younger so I think they are pretty normal. Maybe give them a reward if they stay on task.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 9:16 PM on May. 15, 2010

• I was dealing with the same thing today, lost my temper with the 8year old and had to have a friend come and get all 3 of my boys before it got any worse. we were going on 4 hrs when i lost it.
    Anonymous

• Make it a game, set a timer and have them compete...who can pick up the most things and put away before the time goes off. 

Play I SPY, look around to see what's on the floor, then say you want to see who can pick up something blue and put it away, etc. 

More help with chores http://www.cjkidz.com/parentsgrandparentsteachers.html  look under Responsibility/Chores

momjs

Answer by momjs at 9:20 PM on May. 15, 2010

• kids do best if you break the chore into little pieces. "clean your room" is an overwhelming task even if there's not that much to do
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 9:25 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Well it may sound a bit harsh, but tell them it needs to be done within an hour. Then if you have to clean it for them put everything in a bag or box and put it in storage ( or if you're extreme enough trash it, though I never could) . If they want to play with a toy that's been stored they have to earn it back with extra, age apporpriate chores. You could try over correction if you don't mind standing over them. This involves making them clean it, then you deliberately make another mess and they have to clean it too. ( Repeat three or four times) This teaches them that if it's not done, cleaning will be worse and it may make them decide to just get it done the first time.
    Anonymous