How do you deal with a 28mth old to use words rather than whine? He does talk but at times whines for things.

kidooks

Asked by kidooks at 9:14 PM on May. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Its probably normal. Just remind him to use his please and thank yous.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 9:16 PM on May. 15, 2010

• one reminder: please use your words or i can't understand what that means, use your words. after that, ignore.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 9:23 PM on May. 15, 2010

• I tell mine that I cannot understand him. I remind him that he knows words and words help him to get what he wants. When he is ready to use words, I'm ready to listen.

However- please remember that whining can turn into tantrums rather quickly. Teaching them to make good choices is important- but there will be times that they are hungry, tired or ill and therefore, incapable of being rational. :-) Those times, you'll have to help meet their needs rather than reinforce a lesson.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 9:24 PM on May. 15, 2010

• my kids don't whine but my nephew does. i just answered him in a whiney voice saying 'what???? i can't understand you???" and then ignored him until he used his normal voice. he doesn't whine to me but he still does to everyone else lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:33 PM on May. 15, 2010

• "I dont understand what you want, you have to use your words" or something like that..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:41 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Be repeditive. "John, I cannot understand what you want when you whine. Please use your words." He'll eventually tire of not getting what he wants and try to communicate with you. Also, it's important to communicate with him as an adult and not a child. The reason I say this is because a lot of people talk to their babies/toddlers in infant speak. "Baba", "Peepee", etc. This not only delays the child's ability to speak properly, but talking to them as if they're incapable of understand "adult language" will keep them from speaking up. It's important to communicate with them about everything. Use the name of everything in everyday speaking so he knows what to call things. "Here's your cup", "See that red truck?", etc. This will help him feel more confident in speaking, because he'll know what to say.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:05 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Hahhaha MommaTasha....that's EXACTLY what I say to my daughter. She always says "eh eh ehe ehe' NO, use words if you want something, because I can't understand you!"
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:14 PM on May. 15, 2010