hi to all, I was just wondering if its ok to introduce both breastmilk and formula do my newborn.

I started with the breastfeeding but my nipples started hurting and i decided to give him formula, it has been five days that i havent giving him my breast but they are full of milk and im planning on trying again. Does anyone know if too late for me to giving him breastmilk, and if I can do both formula and breastmilk...
Thanks....

BurgFam

Asked by BurgFam at 9:29 PM on May. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i would say if he will still latch on to your breast there would not be a problem with it, but if its been 5 days he may not latch back on..but good luck!

oh yea, i have a couple friends who both breastfed and formula feed there babies and they werew all fine
    Anonymous

• You can try. The more he is latched and drinking, the more you will produce, but you could try pumping as well if he wont latch again. Its not as efficient, but it might help for a little while.

Dont be surprised if you get a breast vs. formula debate on this one but IMO, give your baby whatever you are most comfortable with and that he will eat.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 9:36 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Yes, its fine to try again. That pain you are feeling is normal until your nipples get used to your baby. By not feeding for 5 days however you have prolonged the pain. If its too painful to feed off the breast everytime, skip a feeding during the day or night but don't skip whole days or you will never get past the pain. Many women supplement their breast milk with formula and it is fine.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 9:38 PM on May. 15, 2010

• It isn't too late- but it'll hurt for a bit until your nipples toughen up.
    Though- your baby may prefer the bottle now, it is less work. :-(

Keep trying, though- breast milk is the best thing for your baby!
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 9:42 PM on May. 15, 2010

• yes, it is fine to do both. You will have the best luck if you can manage to breastfeed exclusively for about a month. But, even if you just breastfeed a few times a day your baby is getting lots of great antibodies etc. Some excellent info on part time breastfeeding at Combination Feeding

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:43 PM on May. 15, 2010

• It is never too late!! Jump back in, even if you are just pumping.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:44 PM on May. 15, 2010

• I did both with my oldest, with the youngest I was convinced I wasn't going to give formula... Worse mistake ever! I had no success pumping and if I left him alone, he couldn't eat... It was horrible.. This one will be getting both for sure!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:53 PM on May. 15, 2010

• I went back to work when my daughter was 3 months and she got both.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 10:21 PM on May. 15, 2010

• You can do both, but you don't need to do both. Nipple soreness is normal at first, and a bottle can exacerbate the problem if a baby tries to suck the nipple the way they suck a bottle or pacifier. This is why pacifiers and bottles were banned in my house until my baby was eight weeks old. Formula is also not allowed because I didn;t want the temptation of it when I was having a really hard time nor did I want it to be offered. I knew the hurdle would pass! I went back to work seven days after birth and my husband fed our baby expressed milk with an eyedropper ( I was only gone 3 1/2 hours). I had trouble with nipple pain especially because we had trouble getting the latch right at first. Contact your local LLL for help with getting a good latch. Also check out www.drjacknewman.com (good videos there) and also www.kellymom.com

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:37 PM on May. 15, 2010

• If you are going to leave and you want to express milk, you have to learn how to do it properly. Pumping is hard for a lot of women. But what makes a huge difference is technique, patience, taking advantage of baby's suckling on one side, when you pump, and the RIGHT pump for your needs. Go here for the proper technique for making the most out of a pumping session:  http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:42 PM on May. 15, 2010