My son is just over 6 weeks old and we stopped breastfeeding and swithched to formula at 3 weeks. We switches to a gentlease formula 2 weeks ago b/c he was having problems with constipation. He is still having trouble. I have called the nurse line and even seen the Dr. about it and they have not been of any help other than to say gove him some water in between feedings.

With my first son we used acidopholis in his bottles and he was better almost immediately. I am not sure how much we used so I have not tried it this time. Every time I mention it to the Dr. he looks at me like I am strange. He is so miserable it is hard to watch him squirm and cry. If there are any moms out there that have experienced this and have some advice on something that may have worked for them any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Lindy022482

Asked by Lindy022482 at 9:52 PM on May. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• go to your peditrician and ask him about it, my daughter has had the same problem ever since she was 2 weeks old and she was soley breastfe..she is now 18 months old and still has the problem her peditrician put her lax-a-day, mention it to your peditrician..maybe he can give you a good dose to give him. my daughter is now down to half of what they recomend that i give her..oh yea on of her peditricians i toold her to see put her on a med and it did nothing for her she was still constipated all teh time, so i brought her to another peditrician, and they did an enema oh her to get the poop out and done a xray on her and her bowels are stretched and it could take a year or longer to fix itself..i would recomend that yoy get him checked out as soon as possible and if your peditrician wont do anyhting tell him to bring in someone who is willing to help you and your child out.. good luck
    Anonymous

• ive done this when my daughter was young the doctor told me to stick the thermomerter not the hole thing just the tip of it in there but not all the way no and go back and forth for a min that will help him hold his legs back and just do the tip of it the doctor told me that helps them and trust me it did big time just the tip of it hon
    Anonymous

• Nope. Change formulas immediately. That happened to my niece's baby and she almost tore her little butt hole trying to poop. Change it immediately.
    Anonymous

• Change formulas or re-lactate (it isn't too late if you were told that -- if interested go to www.kellymom.com If you stopped for one of the common reasons like supposed supply issues or other things, it can be fixed if you weren't aware). Do not stick things into the rectum as it will not fix the underlying problem. Some babies just can not digest formula well at all no matter the type. Others do better on soy, some need a very gentle predigested kind.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:26 PM on May. 15, 2010

• NO water for a baby that young!

My son was the same way. Struggled to poop but the Gentlease formula was the only kind he didn't throw up. I started putting probiotics in his bottles - 1 capsule per day, split between 3 bottles. Doctor approved. If there was a day that I forgot the probiotic, we could sure tell a difference the next day or two! He got 1 a day from 1 month til he was a year. It has to be a good-quality probiotic though, one that needs to be kept refrigerated is best. Also, you can't mix it up ahead of time, the formula needs to be well mixed, then have the probiotic mixed in, and baby has to drink it immediately. If there's any formula left, it can't be saved for the next feeding, and you can't heat the formula after adding the probiotic (I warmed, then added). I highly recommend probiotics, they're safer than other options, which was why our doctor approved of them and was happy I used them for him!
    Anonymous

• In addition to the probiotics try using a glycerin suppository (use about 1/3 of a children's one). This is much safer than using a thermometer and it provides a little lubrication to help it come out. Totally safe and not habit forming.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:30 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Relactate. Obviously your baby is going to have problems with formula and needs human milk. Water is dangerous and can be deadly. Sticking a thermometer in the baby's anus can kill the baby. The baby should have nothing like probiotics, it would be crazy to give a 6 week old baby something like that.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:30 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Ok the suppository's for babies are huge. Take a q-tip and put some vaseline on it. Do not sick it right up the baby's rectum. All you may need to do is put the q tip like 2mm into the rectum to stimulate it. I did this for my son, doctor recommended!
    For my second dd she was so gassy (still is!) I did infant massage on her belly and legs to loosen her up and ease it out of her. If you google infant massage you'll find some help in techniques and such. With my 3rd child she still has hard times pooping and the massaging helped her push it out. I tried the q tip thing on her and it didn't help her, her pooh's were massive! Sometimes I would put her knees to her chest and her feet on mine and she would push her legs and out would come the pooh, woo hoo! We were also told to put some aloe vera juice in her bottles, she was bf so that was difficult. check with the dr on that one though.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 2:35 AM on May. 16, 2010

• First of all, can you specify what his symptoms are? That can help us give you better advice. Going only based on what you've said, I would either switch formula again, or nurse. Is baby passing dry, hard pellet like stools? Technically, that's the definition of infant constipation. But if the baby is having a hard time passing large stools, obviously, that is a problem too.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:36 AM on May. 16, 2010

• "Ok the suppository's for babies are huge." No, they are not, they are tiny. the nurses were giving them to my DD in the NICU when she was less than 4 lbs!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:21 PM on May. 16, 2010