What is it that is so bad about red food coloring?

QandA

Asked by QandA at 11:16 PM on May. 15, 2010 in Health

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 11:44 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Not sure what you are asking but I know a lot of people have an allergic reaction to the dye used for red food coloring. My SIL can't have it.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 11:19 PM on May. 15, 2010

• What kind of reaction do people have?
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 11:22 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Some children have reactions to red food dye. It has been linked to eczema, GI problems, Joint and muscle pain, asthma, Hives, ADHD, and migraines. There are groups that have been trying to outlaw it in the US since other natural red coloring can be used. But the natural options are much more expensive so the industry resists. It is outlawed in the UK.
    Anonymous

• With my DS his reaction was throwing up....violently. I think he's outgrown it...but since he lives on his own now, I assume he still knows the things that use to give him the most problems and avoids them.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 12:00 AM on May. 16, 2010

• i have been doing a paper (today, actually!) on hormones and chemicals given to animals that may be harmful to humans, and food dyes seem to be linked to hyperactivity in kids. they can't totally pinpoint it, so it's not a huge concern, but as a pp said, it caused an uproar in the uk. one of the papers i was reading today was a british article.
    so, yeah, hyperactivity, someone said a few other things, too; i hadn't heard those before, though.
    AngryBob

Answer by AngryBob at 3:23 AM on May. 16, 2010

• My daughter has eczema and it acts up when she has red dye. Some kids have attention and hyperactivity reactions to it. My daughter also has an issue with yellow dye too, but not as severe.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on May. 16, 2010