Toddler bed issues...

A month ago I asked advice for toddler bed issues. I have tried everything that was suggested. If anyone has any more advice I would love to hear it. Last night we was up to 3am trying to get our son to sleep. It's 11:30 now and he is still not asleep. My husband and me are just so tired at this point. Even if it is strange or different advice, we want to hear it. Rocking him, adding blankets, fan noise, night light, no night light, we have him on a regular bedtime routine every night, but it's not working.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:27 PM on May. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• how old? The older they are the harder it is. Is this a transition from your bed? I did this with my oldest at 2 1/2 and it took us a good 6 weeks and YES I was simply exhausted! We just kept putting him back in bed and explaining this is where he sleeps now. It was mostly me though as daddy slept!! I just stayed consitant and did not give up. At that time he had a sister that was just 16mos younger so it was hard. I still remeber those nights! Then we did his sister right after him but she was easy because she was just 12mos.
    Anonymous

• OP here. He is a little over two. He went from a crib to a toddler bed.
    Anonymous

• If he is still taking naps, do not let him sleep past 3pm, take him out side and let him run as much as possible to get out all the extra energy, before bed give a nice warm bath, lay him in his bed read him a book, tell him you love him then get up and close the door. He may get up and try to open the door ( we got the door knobs things so out daughter could not open her door) and he may bang on it, but you just have to go in and put him back to bed and dont talk to him. This will just stimulate him more. Set a bed time say 7pm so that you give yourself time to get him clamed down. If you have a video moniter you can watch him in his room to know he is safe and he will eventually fall asleep. I did it this way with my daughter and by the 3 night she was sleeping in her bed with no issues.
    melliesmom1207

Answer by melliesmom1207 at 12:51 AM on May. 16, 2010

• my dd just turned 2 and has been in her big girl bed for a few months but is not refusing to sleep in it. I end up snuggling her on the couch till she goes to sleep and then lay her down. It's not ideal I know. Last week I started sitting in a chair beside her bed and if she started to get out of bed I'd tell her mommy's gonna go then and she's lay back down.
    One thing that worked with my son was we had some fun stickers and we posted a paper on his wall. The first time he went to sleep in his bed on his own we made such a big deal about it in the morning and put stickers on his paper. He would then come into our room in the mornings looking for his stickers for doing such a great job. Until then me and dh would take turns sitting inside his door till he fell asleep.
    Good luck I hope you find something that works for you.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 2:23 AM on May. 16, 2010

• we always have a fan on in our room,and my lil one still sleeps with us,but what i do is i lay with her with my arm around her and i rock,so we both rock and she falls alseep that way.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 11:10 AM on May. 16, 2010

• I did exactly what melliesmom1207 did. he is going to cry and pitch a fit. but he will eventually get in his bed adn go to sleep. I left the light on cuz he would just get up and turn it back on but it probly only took about a week or two before he was used to it.
    JacksMommy2008

Answer by JacksMommy2008 at 11:29 AM on May. 16, 2010

• I put my daughter in a little after one, mostly because i was afraid of her learning how to climb out of her crib. I figured it was a shorter fall. But she cried and screamed and banged on the door and screeched like a banshee. She would fall asleep at the door for like two weeks but she now (most of the time) sleeps alright. She falls out sometime but like i said its a short fall. she is 2.5 ish now and i can get her into bed and she is asleep in 20-30mins. She talks to her baby's before she goes to sleep. i think my older sister told me letting her cy and scream is called 'ferberizing'? whatever it is im glad i did it. My advice sound proof paint! lol j/k its not that bad, you learn to sleep through it.
    smilelovesmile

Answer by smilelovesmile at 9:58 PM on May. 16, 2010