Is a themed party too much for the 1st one?

I would really like to have a themed birthday party for Elora's first birthday (and its not even until December). Would it be too much trouble to go through for a 1 year old? I was thinking Alice in Wonderland-ish, with crazy colored cupcakes and stuff.

Canaille

Asked by Canaille at 11:33 PM on May. 15, 2010 in Entertainment

• I did a Wall-e themed party for my sons first birthday. My husband was a little nervous because he said it seemed like a older child theme but my son always cracked up when I read him Wall-e books.
    Anonymous

• do whatever you want, she will be too young to give a crap either way. If you love all that stuff go for it, if there are going to be older kids there. If all the guests are adults and babies, I wouldn't bother, wait til she's older and can really fall in love with the theme herself . if you do these for the first few birthdays, by the time she is actually old enough to really enjoy a theme, you might be sick of doing it.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 11:37 PM on May. 15, 2010

• I think you should go for it. First birthdays should be special. Does not mean you have to spend hundreds of dollars....you can still do a small themed party or go for a big one !!! Most people usually end up doing some theme. Be it "1st birthday theme" or "Sesame Street," etc.
    Anonymous

• Thanks for the feedback. This is our only daughter. We have 3 boys between the two of us. So I just want to make it special. She's very alert for a 5 month old (won't be 6 months til the 3rd of next month), so I think she may enjoy it, especially with all the wild colors. Thanks again.
    Canaille

Answer by Canaille at 11:44 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Personally I think so, but that's just what I think.
    If you want to them you go for it. It's the day you're celebrating with your tott, so you make it as special as you want it. Your child won't remember, but you will, so do it up how you think it'll be special.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:23 AM on May. 16, 2010

• We just had dd's 1st b day, we went w/ Abby Cadabbie from sesame street. dd has no clue who this is but she loved the bright colors & wands. myheartx4 is right, she couldn't have cared less about the theme! Gonna do the same next year & save some $$$$. If you plan to reuse some of your stuff, like tablecloths, get 1 themed one & solid matching colors for the rest. We got plates & cups in matching colors instead of the theme, cheaper & can be used for a different event.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 6:55 AM on May. 16, 2010

• Actually, a theme is awesome for a first birthday party. This way, you can carry the theme over into the baby's scrapbook too! Take lots of pictures, even close ups of the cake, cupcakes, decorations, etc. You will love looking back on it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on May. 16, 2010

• Not at all. My DD's first birthday was themed Disney princess. I had balloons, a castle cake, princess plates and napkins, princess tablecloths, etc etc etc. The backyard looked awesome!!!

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 7:16 PM on May. 16, 2010