Why do my sisters think it is okay to ask Grandpa for money????

It bugs the crap out of me. My Grandfather is very wealthy, but I have never and would never ASK for money from him. I have 3 sisters and they have all asked for money before, and he gives it to them. My youngest sister (18) asks for money EVERY month. She tells him it is for diapers and other baby items, but then she goes out for fast food every day. I know it is going to fast food and her bf because they recently moved in with me. Her and her bf also make more money then hubby and I do..

He has voiced that he has more respect for my hubby and I because even we are in a rough patch we don't look for hand outs.

My question is- If you knew you would be handed the money, would you ask for it, even though you knew he would loose respect for you??

Sorry this is kind of a vent along with a question..

imamommmmyyy

Asked by imamommmmyyy at 11:36 PM on May. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

• well why let them live with you unless they pay bills? If you guinely need help thats one thing but if you don't thats just not right.
    Anonymous

• No. I sometimes feel sorry for myself that because we have more pride than that we don't get any help when we need it, but our siblings can totally screw up their finances by being stupid and get bailed out. But I still don't ask for money. My inlaws aren't even aware of our financial troubles. I wouldn't change it, though, when all is said and done. I would rather be an adult and step it up and look back and be proud that we made it through on our own than ask for handouts.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:47 PM on May. 15, 2010

• If he didn't give it to them, they wouldn't ask...

Answer by rkoloms at 11:49 PM on May. 15, 2010

• I have never asked my mom and dad for money because I know they would not give it to me I think if you need it it would be one thing but like my brothers they just ask and they get whatever. I see that and leave it alone. I think like me you and your husband are ground pounders its better to work or go without then to reach for a hand out I respect that as well.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:58 PM on May. 15, 2010

• I would only ask for money in a dire situation. Like we were about to lose our house. I would also pay it back once we were back on our feet again.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 8:57 AM on May. 16, 2010

• I've asked my dad for money in very IMPORTANT situations. I don't just ask for it for the hell of it. I go to him for I do know he has the money and can/will help me out if I really need him to. He's DAD. :)

In your case grandpa gives money anytime they ask. They have no reason to stop asking I guess. Grandpa needs to start saying NO if he doesn't want to give it.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:33 AM on May. 16, 2010

• I had a grandma that was well off. Not wealthy but well off. I knew that I could ask her for money if we ever needed or wanted it- but I didn't. You learn to survive by standing on your own two feet. Studies done have shown that people that get support in their ADULT life from parents or relatives make less money than those that don't. And let's face it, some day those relatives will probably die and then where will they be?

Another thought is- it's possible that your grandpa is giving them their inheritance early so they really aren't gaining anything (except maybe weight :D ) by getting that money now.
    Anonymous