I have decided to eliminate meat altogether. Veggie, I feel so much better and it is only two weeks, however what vitamins, and foods should I have I had my thyroid removed yrs ago, so I need the contents found in meat especially those that aid in absorbing Iron. Open for suggestions

Sunshine007775

Asked by Sunshine007775 at 12:09 AM on May. 16, 2010 in Health

• you quit cold turkey? See I kind of want to do this but afraid I will be too hungry. I do not eat meat every day...sorry I am not helping your answers!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on May. 16, 2010

• I would say you would definitely need an iron supplement but I would try taking a multivitamin first to make sure you cover all of your bases. Since you have had your thyroid removed, I would ask your doctor because it could really mess with you.
    mommyerin02

Answer by mommyerin02 at 12:15 AM on May. 16, 2010

• I quit cold turkey too. Def. talk to your doctor. Iron is big. Plus a multivitamin and maybe some omega 3.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 12:30 AM on May. 16, 2010

• The thing vegatarians need is trace minerals. They can only be found in meat. I have two teens that are vegatarians and have been for 10 & 11 years. Trust me they never go hungry and they eat very well. Make sure you are getting leafy green veggies, soy is also something good to add. Also a really good vegatarian vitamine for women lots of soy and tofu is good as well.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:40 AM on May. 16, 2010

• Thanks for info. The only thing is I won't do Soy. I do have a history of breast cancer in family I am 48, and menopausal. So I never do soy. I read every label, and do my own baking as much as possible. Especially cookies, they are simple, and I can control the ingredient's. Keep the answers comming, I will check in with my doc.Thank you everyone. I knew I could count on everyone here.
    Sunshine007775

Answer by Sunshine007775 at 12:48 AM on May. 16, 2010

• Ask your doctor for a referral to a nutritionist or dietician. Never rely on a doctor for nutritional advice.

I have been vegetarian for over 30 years, I eat organic tofu or edamame every day. Meat eater ingest more soy, through the animals' diets, than the average vegetarian.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:05 AM on May. 16, 2010