Why do people do this? I cant be the only one who's notcied.

Okay this question comes from a recent interaction at Target. While walking around in my red shirt (lol) he mistook me for a Target employee. He taps me and begins his conversation in spanish. As he is talking. I am shaking my head no and waving hands no in front of him. Once he stops I try my best to mime that I am not an employee. I gesture for him to follow me. I lead him to the customer service desk to get him some help. So once we're there I try to tell him to stay here and they will help him soon (there was a loooooong line). Anyway as I walk away, he pulls my shirt and starts in on it again. I do it again, NO. He decides that I must be hard of hearing so he speaks LOUDER! Each time I mimed no, he re-started the convo, but LOUDER!
Has this ever happened to you? Why do some people who speak another language think it will help others understand by repeating themselves, but louder?
Am I the only one who finds it funny?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on May. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• That is why I never wear red shirts or khaki pants to Target. It's just asking for trouble. Even so, people have stopped me and asked me for help anyway, and if I can, I help them. Sometimes, I think the employees hide or something because there are none to be found.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:28 AM on May. 16, 2010

• English-speakers do the same thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on May. 16, 2010

• Ha ha its totally true! English speakers do do the same thing! :P
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on May. 16, 2010

• Yeah, it's just as common for english speakers to do the same. And do you really not know that "no habla espanole" means "I don't speak spanish"? I'm from nowhere near a spanish speaking area and I know that.

PS - I apologise for the spanish spelling if it's wrong, I spelled it as well as I knew to.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:45 AM on May. 16, 2010

• I find it annoying. Its happen to me a few times with english, spanish and french speakers. I tell I dont speak spanish or english and/or i dont work at that place. The only time it happen with french speakers is when I was at the 2006 winter games and my friend and I were saying 1-10 in french and I guess they thought we spoke it. Had to tell them we were just playing and trying to learn 1-10 in several different languages.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:46 AM on May. 16, 2010

• Srop wearing red shirts to Target! lol. I work with the public and have been through this sooo many times. They know I dont speak whatever language they speak and they still march on. Sometimes I end up calling my office and getting someone who speaks the language to talk to the customer..:)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on May. 16, 2010

• I meant french! I speak English :)
    mommy_of_two388

• LOL, I guess you won't wear a red shirt to target again!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:49 AM on May. 16, 2010

• I'm not saying english speakers do not do it also. Which is why I wasked in the general sense, "people who speak another language" Meaning any lanuage. Sorry if I did not clarify.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on May. 16, 2010

• No trabajo aqui - I don't work here - lol
    And yes canadianmom - No hablo espanol

And yes people of all languages do it; lmao -- it must be an instinctual type of thing or something; lol

PS: now you'll remember to not wear red to Target again; hahaha - happens to my mom every time she does too
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on May. 16, 2010