how do I keep an open mind when my 17 yr old is not home yet and haven't heard from her in 12 hours

We live in the boonies
Last night she was picked up and went to stay over at a friends and today to go fishing
cell phone service is unreliable around here and she is NOT driving....she is dependent on her friend to give her a ride home.
I haven't heard from her and she isn't home........I want to ground her til shes 18!! but I need to listen to the facts....what if the facts are that she couldn't call and her friend wasn't giving her a ride home when she wanted........She does like being the good kid, she strives for it and she worries about what I might be thinking when she is not on time...and usually it is the fault of the other friend. She does not drive, towns are 30 miles apart. She always wants to do what is right, never a trouble maker or a rebellious person...
How do I set up consquence's for her being out late when it was out of her control?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on May. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• you dont. i think worrying is part of being a mom. if we DIDNT think of all the "what if's" then we wouldnt give our kids restrictions or boundaries.
    mommy-d

Answer by mommy-d at 4:35 AM on May. 16, 2010

• If her friends can't be trusted she can't go out with them. I agree with you, ground her til she's 18.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on May. 16, 2010

• hey now dont pick on us younger tenns who like to have fun and hang out if its not her fault then i wld just say like my mom always told me......u cant go anywhere with anyone else who isnt worried if wether u r late or on time cuz that means that they arent mature enough to care about if u will get in trouble with ur parents for what they r doing or not.shes probably fine and mad at the friend for making her so late...good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on May. 16, 2010

• I think that you should let her know your expectation of calling, and if she is going somewhere that she can't call you, then maybe she shouldn't be going there. Her friend will understand, because parents always have rules for their kids, and this just happens to be yours. This way, she knows that she has one of two choices in leaving the house, either to call or to be home on time. If she places herself in circumstances where she doesn't follow those rules, then she will probably have to be grounded. You are a good mom for worrying... don't second guess yourself!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:35 AM on May. 16, 2010

• What are your house rules? If she can't follow them, hand her a lease for her room (effective on her 18th birthday) and apartment listings.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:25 AM on May. 16, 2010