Is it ok to walk (for exercise) outside in the mornings before my kids get up?

There is a walking trail in front of my house, it is literally 30 feet from my front door and it runs from one end of teh street to the other. Is it ok to walk on it in the mornings before my kids get up? should I explain to them what to do if they get up and i'm outside? I could just walk like the length of 5 houses (ours and 2 neighbors on each side ) this way i would be in ear shot..is this ok, or not? We live in a decent neighborhood, but i'm scared something might happen to me and they'll be home alone, They are 9, 6, and 4...I really need to exercise and start my day off right...walking with all three of them is just not feasible...little can't keep up, oldest goes too far ahead, etc. i spend all my time looking all around after them. and their dad leaves at 4:30 every morning..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on May. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't think it's BAD, but I don't know if I would leave my kids at those ages. I don't know if I would feel comfortable. But I don't know your kids, how they behave, the neighborhood or you.

Could you do this in the evenings after dinner when your husband is home? Or do yoga first thing in the morning instead? You don't need a tape, just look up "yoga poses" online and put together a flowing routine that you can follow yourself at home.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:08 AM on May. 16, 2010

• If you have a cell phone and house phone, use the house phone to call your cll phone [answer it) then turn on ALL of your house phones if you have more than one dock, and put it by the children, while your out walking, leave your cell on speaker phone and clip it to you, or just hold it. either way its like a baby monitor, and you can let the children know to pick the phone up and be like mom im up LOL . this is what I dO

Hope it helps :)
    colbysmommie95

Answer by colbysmommie95 at 1:12 AM on May. 16, 2010

• Tough question. Yes, you are within earshot and sight of your house but no, too much can happen. Do you have a Wii? We got the EA sports active and it kicks our butt. One option, get up at 4 and run for 30 minutes and then do some sort of workout after he leaves. Walk after dinner each night too. Put DH in charge of the kiddos for an hour and go for a walk or run.
    mommyerin02

Answer by mommyerin02 at 1:18 AM on May. 16, 2010

• I would do it only if I had my cell phone with me....and instruct the kids to call me on the cell when they wake up....actually just get those walkie talkie devices....wait a cell phone too in case something happens to you while you are walking and need to call 911.
    accidents are always never planned on, what if you sprain something or get attacked......go ahead but just make sure there is still communication in place, in case something happens to you, them, the house....can't never be too preparred
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on May. 16, 2010

• How about getting a second-hand treadmill and putting it in your garage? Then you could walk quite a bit, while you had your coffee, and even watched t.v. I am not sure if I would leave the kids alone either. Anything could happen. It's your choice though, based on where your neighborhood is, how far you are actually walking, and what time it is when your kids are sleeping.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on May. 16, 2010

• I would never leave children home alone. Depending on local laws, it may also be illegal.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:24 AM on May. 16, 2010

• personally, I wouldn't do it.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 1:09 PM on May. 16, 2010

• A long as you can see your house while you're walking, I see no problem with it.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 2:10 PM on May. 16, 2010