today at the grocery store I saw a kid maybe 12 yrs old pushing a grocery cart FULL of food and had 2 other little kids with him

I could not believe my eyes! this boy had a list and and dealing with 2 little ones, and lecturing them about behaving....not a parent in sight.....now trying to keep an open mind I could not figure out why this kid was doing the shopping....and he seemed like an old pro!
I'm going to guess that an adult was waiting in a car somewhere because he was not old enough to drive! I was also thinking maybe he had a cart and a parent had another cart and they split up to do faster shopping

What would you have done? or even thought if you saw a young kid acting like the parent, shopping and dealing with 2 kids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on May. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I wouldn't be so quick to judge. In our town we have a Mom with MS, unable to wield the trolley at all, some days she can't get out of bed. Her 13yr daughter does an amazing job with her little sister, & I would guess the bulk of the household chores. We also have a woman who lives one street from the largest supermarket who is a paraplegic after a car accident, & has trouble with many tasks, & is wheel chair confined. It is quite common to see her kids (all four aged 12 to 6) racing around the supermarket with a list each trying to beat each other to collect all their items. I take my hat off to them. Both families are fiercely independant. They ask for help with things they can't manage & take much pride in getting other things done all by themselves.
    Did the children look well cared for and well mannered? If the oldest was keeping them in line & doing a good job, it's possible Mom is trying her best with her circumstances
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 2:18 AM on May. 16, 2010

• Did you ask him his age? I have a neighbor that looks 12 but he is not. He is 19 and has showed proof to so many people.

itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 1:12 AM on May. 16, 2010

• My brother in law went to a baseball game with my husband and my father when they were giving away baseball cards to everyone 12 and over and they carded him! LOL
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 1:14 AM on May. 16, 2010

• noooo he was a kid.....I have worked in schools and know when a kid is a kid and when a grown up is just short and young looking
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on May. 16, 2010

• There was this girl who has class with my little cousin, and I see her often, well the other day I stopped at McDonalds, and she walked in with another little girl, and she didnt look nothing over 11 yrs, and they had a little boy with them, I guessed he was about 5, but I overhead the 2nd oldest girl saying, "your 4 yrs old now act like it" I couldn not believee it, not to mention I watched them leave and walk across a busy street ?!
    colbysmommie95

Answer by colbysmommie95 at 1:27 AM on May. 16, 2010

• This is normal in the hood.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on May. 16, 2010

• but how do the kids get home with so much food?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:07 AM on May. 16, 2010

• Sounds like an interesting situation. There's nothing you can *do* about it, there's no age requirements for shopping for groceries... It's an awful lot of responsibility for a young one though, hopefully he has a good home.
    iloveconan

Answer by iloveconan at 2:14 AM on May. 16, 2010

• Seeing how my cousin had a baby at 13, it's not impossible
    janel09

Answer by janel09 at 2:30 AM on May. 16, 2010

• I haven't seen anything like that here and I'm not sure how I'd react if I did. I'd like to stay on the positive side and hope that a parent or another adult was in the store shopping with the other half of the list though it would still be pretty unfair that the kid is watching another kid let alone two. My youngest brother is 9 years younger than me so I helped out a lot but it's not something my parents expected of me and its sad when people who have large age gaps between kids expect the older kid to act like a parent to their younger sibling(s).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:35 AM on May. 16, 2010