ok my son is 5 almost 6, he has had 2 tball games, hasnt got to bat yet. the rules of the game r that all kids bat and play in the out feild. how do i deal w/ this

talk to the coach and he told me that he was the coach and his call. Mikey was an alternate...but all the kids have gotten to bat and i thought if you played in the out feild you had to be on the batting list....all he worries about is winning....this 5 to 8 years old they don't even keep score in these games its just let the kids play and have fun. teach them how to play. He yells at the other kids, told one child not to throw to one kid cause he hadn't caught the ball. yelled at another older child who was helping out on 1st base telling runners what to do.. if that had been my child I would have decked the guy for taking to my child that way. I don't know how to deal with this guy.. can't put him in another league all the signups r over. my son's loves to play and has asked me y he doesn't get to bat. this is 2 games in....tomorrow is the 3rd. how far is this guy going to go.....just to win.

Heather25676

Asked by Heather25676 at 1:28 AM on May. 16, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• First of all your right the anon is wrong the POINT of T-ball and wiffle ball is to LEARN and the rules do clearly state that all children on the team will have a turn at bat. They way it is run where we live is that the kids line up and even if it takes an hour every kids gets to bat and bats until they hit the ball.

Second what i would do is find out who is in charge of the league, every league has a president, secretary, etc, etc. There is someone who is in charge of the coaching staff and will be able to help you work it out. As long as you have spoken witht he coach and mentioned the rules to him and he is blatantly not following them and admitting he is doing it his own way then you can go above his head for help.

At this age its about learning the rules of the game and having a basic working knowledge of how to play, when they move up to little league then you have to stand back and let the coach make the call.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:37 AM on May. 16, 2010

• Life lesson #1 lifes not fair. Get over it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on May. 16, 2010

• how would u feel if this was your child...either being over looked or yelled at. I mean screamed at. these r 5, 6, 7 and 8 yr old kids. they r suppose to be learning....
    Heather25676

Answer by Heather25676 at 1:34 AM on May. 16, 2010

• Is there another team he can get on. If not I would go to whoever is over the Coach.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 1:37 AM on May. 16, 2010

• ya now, isnt it funny how when someone is very rude to someone they post it anoymously? makes you think, huh. bet she wouldnt feel that way if it was her kid. my advice would be going over the coaches head if hes not willing to work with you. if the rules state everyone gets to bat, then everyone should get to bat. they are young kids. i understand pushing teenagers who fully understand competition, but not 5-8 year olds. they just want to have fun. find out who hired the coach or what the league guidelines are, and see if there is anything to be done about it. dont be afraid to step on toes when you have a young kid! he is depending on you right now to do that very thing! wish you the best!
    jeanniegirl82

Answer by jeanniegirl82 at 1:37 AM on May. 16, 2010

• Just food for thought in the future. Most coaches are parents who volunteer, next year maybe you or your SO could offer to coach. Also this coach's attitude is typical of little league coaches so just prepare yourself now that in the future this is what you are going to be up against, it is very sad that coaches keep a list of names and will bump kids off their team or not play the boys except when needed. We ending up leaving little league after 5 years because my son wanted to play soccer full time and be on the traveling team. I have never experienced this type of attitude in any other sport we have played except little league.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:44 AM on May. 16, 2010

• well i pissed him off when I brought it to his attention today...so the game tomorrow should be interesting. we will see if he does the right thing or just what will give him a win....frankly mikey is a good hitter...i wouldn't say worse....but he is very good. doesn't have to use the T.....but he sucks at catching so i don't understand y he doesn't get to hit. so he gets to play out feild but on the sub list when batting. the first game he only played 1 inning in out feild. every kid but him got to bat....the rules states that every child gets to bad. and play in the feild. all the sign up s r over for other leagues and I hate take him out. I don't want him to be a quitter. I don't want to argue or be one of those parents but at the same time I don't want him being left out when he isn't old enough to understand y the coach is that way.
    Heather25676

Answer by Heather25676 at 2:10 AM on May. 16, 2010

• i can't believe how crazy this coach is being! this is the time where the kids learn to love the sport. and the way it is going this coach is only making these kids not want to play. i feel bad for all the kids on the team. believe me if my kid was on this team (weather it was him, her, or someone else's kid) i would be saying something to this coach. my hubby and i also volunteer on my daughter's team and we try to encourage all the kids. if this coach doesn't care for the well being of the kids then he shouldn't have volunteered in the first place. talk to him and make it known that if the kids do not get the respect that they deserve the u and the other parents will have to talk to whoever is over him. i know it's hard to stand up to someone who is suppose to be a official, but when it comes to ur kids u have to do what is best for them.
    teddybear2272

Answer by teddybear2272 at 2:28 AM on May. 16, 2010

• T-ball is just for learning and having fun not really about taking score or who is the winner. It is basically teaching the children the rules of the game, but most of all to have fun with it. My boyfriend is a t-ball coach. He never yells at the children the ages range from 4-7. Every child on the team has fun and enjoys playing. Every child gets a turn at bat. I do not understand why you child is being excluded from batting. It is sad that your coach seems a little out of control. Does any of the other parent's feel that way about your coach? If so, maybe if you can talk to the higher up person and tell them of your concerns. Since your little one enjoys t-ball he should have every right to play. I hope things get better.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 9:26 AM on May. 16, 2010

• speak to the coach. call him on the phone if you feel uncomfortable. don't be confrontational, just tell him that your kid loves to play.
    PRACTICE in the back yard with the kid.
    if the coach is still a douche, go over his head. there's usually a league president.
    Anonymous