Can a blood pregnancy test ever be wrong?

OK, LMP was on April 14th. I am currently 6 days late.
My breasts have been CONSTANTLY having twinges of pain and soreness. I also have thrown up a few times.
On cycle day 22 I had a progesterone level checked and it was VERY low at 1.9, meaning I did not ovulate. (up until that date at least)
I have had sharp twinges of pain in my ovary since? It's just weird and doesnt make much sense? Anyone have a story similar or any advice?

Mommyof3yippey

Asked by Mommyof3yippey at 9:49 AM on May. 16, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• It sounds like you had an anovulatory cycle- you haven't ovulated yet. The twinges in your ovary could be your ovary still trying to ovulate (it could still happen- sometimes ovulation can occur even very late.) I've had plenty of cycles where I either ovulated very late or not at all... it usually led to a very long cycle, then finally some bleeding and then my next cycle was usually a lot more normal. HTH a bit!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:56 AM on May. 16, 2010

• no the blood tests are not wrong hon.They test the human growth homones in your blood, if there isnt any or its low, not preg. sounds like ovulation. good luck tho.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:08 AM on May. 16, 2010

• Yes, it can be wrong!! Mine was wrong. and I was far enough along for it to pick it up. I was 4 weeks. The doctor told me he was "99.9999% sure" I wasn't pregnant. Yeah..tell that to my 3 month old. That being said, they are considered very accurate.
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 11:15 AM on May. 16, 2010

• I was about 3 weeks prego and I had to go to the er for some reason so they did an ultrasound and i saw the baby then the doctor comes and says that my blood work came back and I'm not expecting I told him I saw the baby on the ultrasound and he checked and said I was right and the lab made a mistake the blood test was wrong
    mom2ryneandsam

Answer by mom2ryneandsam at 11:25 AM on May. 16, 2010

• It is so annoying when girls complain about pregnancy symptoms before they are even possible. Get over yourself.
    Anonymous

• If she is six days late, that's plenty of time for her to have symptoms. Gosh, you are so rude. I had symptoms before a pregnancy test could pick it up. Some women are very in tune with their bodies.
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 6:49 PM on May. 16, 2010

• "It is so annoying when girls complain about pregnancy symptoms before they are even possible. Get over yourself. " -- Wow. It is SO annoying when someone has something rude to say but isn't a big enough person to say it to someones face. Have fun hiding behind your anonymous answer, coward. You are such a big person! (anonymous for irony*)
    Anonymous

• Well for anon, I had symptoms 5 days after ovulation and that is VERY early. Ever heard of being in tune with your body? Probably not. If something is out of the ordinary for me, I NOTICE. I get PMS symptoms 1-3 days before my period, the fact I had them over a week before, I KNEW I was pregnant. Just because you don't have symptoms or notice things, doesn't mean others dont. And the OP is 6 days late, VERY POSSIBLE to have symptoms.

Anyways! I'd request an ultrasound.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 9:11 PM on May. 16, 2010

• Girls, dont worry about the silly anomyous poster...dont even givve her the time of day. She obviously has nothing better to do than be hateful.... kinda sad actually.

I have never been 6 days late...I like another poster, am very in tune with my body. I have felt ovulation 3 times and each time I was for sure preggo that cycle.

My cycles have been pretty regular...the longest was 31 days....they used to be every 28 days perfectly till I had my stillbirth 9 months ago...so I am trying to not get too excited..it's not been the best ttc experinece....lol

Thanks for the answers and if they continue to be late, I will get another blood test and also an ultrasound before we use any meds to bring on AF. I am into natural things...In the past if my period was remotely late I would take a vitex and then by the second day AF would ALWAYS come...this time it's been 5 days since the vitex and AF is still MIA.

Mommyof3yippey

Answer by Mommyof3yippey at 9:31 PM on May. 16, 2010

• yes! it has happened to me... i went in Nov 07 for my anual she felt said she thought i was pregnant and sent me for blood test it was neg.... 3-4 weeks later i took HPT and it was BFP and then went in for blood test and u/s and i was 15 weeks! ha now my DS is almost 2 !
    TatymMommi

Answer by TatymMommi at 8:48 AM on May. 17, 2010