what is your weekend routine with your kids?

I really hope and pray every weekend that the kids will just play and let me sleep in a little lol. and when the oldest (6) is home all day i have no idea what to do with her. i usually get up with them and get them a quick breakfast (cereal, muffin, Nutrigrain bar) and i will turn on a movie for them, and i usually manage to stay awake, but im still not in the mood to play you know. but i need a way to help keep them entertained so i can rest a little while, they dont like doing activities by themselves either. also i am usually lost as to how i keep her entertained all day, she wont play by herself bc the baby (2) is always near me so she wants to be near me to. its hard to get stuff done before work (4pm) with them both holding my legs all day, other than movies, what can i do, she wont color long, nor read books long. how much time to i devote to sitting down playing with them? how can i rest up b4 work?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on May. 16, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My two stepboys aren't in school yet and DH works a weird schedule, so weekends are nothing special here. So it's basically the same thing as during the week...they boys try their best to drive me nuts and I keep trying to hold on to my sanity...one...more...day! lmao
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 10:39 AM on May. 16, 2010

• Well typically my kids wke up and watch cartoons. I get up when the 2 yr is up so I never really sleep in. I make them breakfast when I get up. Typically after breakfast they have to clean their room unless we have something planned. Every weekend kinda varies depoending on whats going on. Its more relaxed and not a set routine. My older two kids are 5 and 6.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on May. 16, 2010

• Do you work nights? I guess it is hard to answer the question with out understanding why you are so tired. Is there a reason you can not go to be earlier?

I dont have a 'schedule' over the weekend. Some times we go to a park, a museum, a friends, we have people over, we bbq, the beach.... weekends are down time for us and hubby is home so it is more of a free for all play time.
    Anonymous

• We don't have much of a routine during the weekends. Because all week long we have a routine. I have work @ 6am and DD has school. So the weekends are for fun and relax. My DD sleeps in (Since we don't have to get up early for work/school) usually she sleeps until 8:00-8:30AM. Than we eat breakfast, get dressed. If it is nice out we are outside alot. Playing, DD rides her bike, play ball , go fishing, ETC. If it is raining or etc we do in door things. read, color, draw watch a movie together, do some arts n crafts. bake cookies. make jello together. My DD is going to be 8yrs old this summer :) Some weekends when it is nice we go to the park, walk town(stores) or go to the outdoor flea market.
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 9:32 PM on May. 16, 2010

• We don't have a routine really. I get up with my daughter whenever she gets up and make her breakfast and we watch cartoons and then usually get dressed and head out for the day. We're never home Saturday. Sunday is lazy day at home for her while I do house work, get lunches ready for the week...ect...sometimes I'll take her to the park or something.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 10:12 AM on May. 17, 2010

• I work weekend nights so I sleep all day all weekend. During the week I am home with them and we usually go to the park for a couple of hours if it is nice. We go swimming in the river, play in the sand, collect rocks, and have a picnic. If it is raining I try to do an activity with them like coloring or cooking. If I get called in during the week and need to sleep during the day when hubby is working...(I don't have any friends or family nearby they are all 900 miles away) I will lock the doors and nap on the couch. The girls know to wake me up if they need ANYTHING. I will gladly get up and get them a drink or such. This is rare so they take it pretty well. Mine are 6 and 7. When they were little is was easier.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 12:38 PM on May. 18, 2010

• Our weekend routine is by necessity exactly the same as our weekday schedule. DS can't handle changes in the routine. I am so dreading the six weeks of summer before his books get here and we can get back on track. To give myself a break I may just decide to cut lessons short on a weekend day when he has "worked" especially hard and "earned" it. Then he still feels like he did everything right and is less likely to lose it. But we still have to do everything else in order or it messes with him. it would be fun to just go the park with walking through the routine first, once in a while.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 4:33 AM on May. 20, 2010

• When we aren't at dance compeitions on weekends~Friday night we do movie night/campout in the living room with nail painting, hair braiding, and possibly wii playing. Sat. they usually sleep in till 10-11. I get my work done and we go grocery shopping, errand running, hang out in the yard. Saturday nights, are parent's night. Either we get a sitter and goto one of our favorite restaurants (Brio, Flemmings, local Italian restaurant).. Or we put the kids to bed and watch a movie and have date night in the living room with Fondue and Fun :o)... Sunday's are the usual church. Hover, when hubby is deployed my kids and I might do this on Sat. night. followed by taking the girls to play golf, tennis, or gril out in the back yard. Sunday evening, my kids and I pre cook all the meat and prep most of the food (make bread; put clow cooker meals in freezer bag) and get ready for the week's meals/menu.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:11 AM on May. 20, 2010

• Now since i am a grandmother i get the two girls ages 4 and 2 on the weekends so their mom can get a little rest and tend to the new baby boy! They are such a sweet group of kids i enjoy them until they get to fighting sleep then its get creative time! LOL
    bossygrand

Answer by bossygrand at 2:10 PM on May. 20, 2010

• Our routine is the same as the rest of the week, except that on Sunday mornings, we go out to breakfast with my SO.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:56 PM on May. 20, 2010