How do you explain a miscarriage to a child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on May. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• OP: 7 years old
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on May. 16, 2010

• I'm not sure about that, but recently we had a death in the family. My husbands younger brother (he was handicapped) recently passed away. My son would go over to my MIL's house and say Where is he? Then he would conclude, oh he's at the dentist or oh he's at wal-mart. It's hard for him work out where someone who is young could go. We simply told him no, he's in heaven with God. He said oh ok, he's with God. That's all he would wrap his mind around. My son is almost 5. I don't know how old your child is, but it's best to tell them the truth.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 11:01 AM on May. 16, 2010

• OP: 9 weeks
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on May. 16, 2010

• That early on and at 7 I would just say you went to the doctor and the doctor said that you made a mistake and there is no baby in your tummy and that you are very sad about that because you were excited to be having another baby. If you plant ot try agian you could also mention that you are hoping to that it still might happen.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on May. 16, 2010

• i would just be honest - apparently you told the child about the pregnancy... kids don't think about things the same way adults do and appreciate when adults are honest. i don't think lying about your doctor is a good response, and someone else made assumptions about your religious beliefs. you could just simply explain that sometimes babies don't grow right in their mommies, and the body is so smart that it knows that. i'm sorry for your loss.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 11:42 AM on May. 16, 2010

• Just tell the child that sometimes our bodies reject things. That sometimes the body knows better than our minds. Good luck.. =(
    SAMNMAYASMOM

Answer by SAMNMAYASMOM at 1:26 PM on May. 16, 2010

• If you believe in Heaven and God you could tell her that they baby got called back to heaven by God because although He planned for you to have a baby, he/she wasn't growing right, and so God took him/her to help mend him/her. If you are planning on trying again then just tell her that God now has a different plan in mind.
    If your not I would go with what figaro8895 said "sometimes babies don't grow right in their mommies, and the body is so smart that it knows that" I am so sorry for your loss
    Anonymous

• There is a children's book called "We were going to bring home a baby but we got an angel instead". It helps to explain the situation and help the child process it and deal with their emotions. Here is an amazon link to books that help with this situation. I am so sorry for your loss if it is your child you are having this conversation with.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_15?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=we+were+going+to+have+a+baby+but+we+had+an+angel+instead&sprefix=we+were+going+t

Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 8:36 PM on May. 16, 2010