Friend problems....Does she have a right to be THAT mad?

My best friend's son's 3rd birthday is today - yesterday we took all 4 of our kids ( she has 2, I have 2) ....to the zoo - we were there from 7am to 4pm ....
Today is his party and last night when I got home found out we had to go to my inlaws today because FIL has to have surgery Monday ( it was suppose to be later on in the week but they changed it yesterday) ... so he wants to see us all "just in case"

I texted ( we text instead of calling lol) my friend telling her the problem and asked if she cared if we stopped over from like 12:30 - 1 / 1:15 to see him and give him his presents ...and then make our way to inlaws ( his party starts at 1).

She got MAD and said whatever, just don't bother showing up at all . and then didnt return any text or answer when I tried to call..... still nothing today ... and it is almost time to go ....should I still stop over to atleast try to give him his present...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on May. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• i would drop the presents by the door, and be on my way. she should understand this important family time without question. in fact, i would seriously take a look at your friendship, because if she was a real friend, she would support you and totally understand. sorry, but her reaction is inexcuseable to me.
    jeanniegirl82

Answer by jeanniegirl82 at 11:17 AM on May. 16, 2010

• I wouldn't go. She said don't bother. I know she was mad and probably didn't mean it, but then she shouldn't say things she doesn't mean. I hope your FIL comes through the surgery alright.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:21 AM on May. 16, 2010

• no I mean I understand being dissapointed but something more important came up and I think it was nice of you to offer to stop by with the gift.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on May. 16, 2010

• She not much of a friend if she is this selfish. You should text her one more time. Tell her if she does not text or call you now, you are rethinking your frindship with her, by the way she is acting in a crisis.

Answer by louise2 at 11:27 AM on May. 16, 2010

• Yeeeeaaaaaah.......she overreacted for sure.

It's not like you were bailing on the whole day or that you have a stupid excuse for not going to the party. You have a legitimate family issue. She should understand that.
    I can understand her disappointment but she shouldn't have been angry with you for it.

Was there no other time of the day that you could go to your in-laws place? Does it have to be the exact same time as the party or could you go to the party for an hour and then go to your in-laws place?
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 11:29 AM on May. 16, 2010

• well the reason we were going at that time was because FIL is going to see different family..... its almost like a "scheduled" time ...because we have a big ( inlaw) family and that is when he was going to be home...and we were going to have lunch together ( they also live in another town ) ...so we cant just like hurry there and back
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on May. 16, 2010

• She definitely overreacted. I would be reconsidering my friendship with her, if this is how she treats you. I have let go of a few "friends" recently realizing that they were more of a headache in my life and at this age, who needs drama...certainly not me. I like my boring, uneventful, non-dramatic life.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:48 AM on May. 16, 2010

• I would still stop by. Your friend is acting childish.
    thisloveofmine

Answer by thisloveofmine at 12:19 PM on May. 16, 2010

• Planning a party can get frustrating because there is just so much to do. Maybe she feels that by you stopping over early, that will put her timing off because she will have to stop what she is doing to visit with you before everyone else arrives. It bugs me when people come over earlier just to convienience themselves when I'm throwing a party. You have to decorate, do last minute shopping,cooking,get yourself and the rest of the family dressed and ready. Its a lot of work.
    I could be wrong, but thats just me.
    Anonymous

• Maybe you can stop over there after visiting the in laws, that way your not interrupting her time of getting everythign ready.
    Anonymous