Forward facing in the car

How old was your child? Mine is 10 mo and 17lbs. She just screams and hates her rear facing so we are contimplating putting her forward facing a little early. She's already walking, so she has good body control.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on May. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My older two kids were 12mos and big for their age. I would never forward face till 12mos its about their neck but my 2 years old barely forward faced in March when she turned 2. The do recoimmend rear face longer and she is small just 23 pounds at age 2 . I would of kept her longer but her legs are so long!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on May. 16, 2010

• walking has nothing to do with forward facing! All my kids walked young their necks still are not read to endure a crash. 12 months is the youngest you should ever forward face.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on May. 16, 2010

• We had to put Kiwi in forward facing at around 10 months. She was too tall/long for rear facing. Even angling it a little to give her more foot room didn't work, her legs were just too squished. But she has always been tall for her age, and she had passed the minimum weight and height limit for the forward facing, so we felt it was alright.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:59 AM on May. 16, 2010

• It's illegal. Not only is she under the minimum age, but she's under the minimum weight. Is her safety less important than your convenience? My daughter is 22 months 36 inches, and 28lbs and still rearfaces with plenty of leg room.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:42 PM on May. 16, 2010

• No BridgetC140, it's not. But before you go attacking fellow moms, go find ones that actually deserve it. She isn't forward facing, I was merely getting advice from other moms on how to handle it, so back off a bit. I know mom's that have put their kids forward facing at 3 months, and I checked then due to concern and it's not illegal, at least not in our state. And if it was about convenience, I'd keep her rear facing as long as I could for the pure fact that I like that that seat is portable when you shop and stuff; her screaming isn't an inconvenience, it's a concern.

Thank everyone else for their advice.. I never knew it was about their necks, so that's good to know.. much appreciated! I will keep her rear facing a few more months or until her legs won't allow that in my car.
    Anonymous

• i did it a little after her 1st birthday. however we had this one carseat that was donated to us by a friend of mine and it was only forward facing and we use to use that for short trips to daycare bfore hr first birthday. wll my father did. but she 14months and she is forward facing. i would wait until at least one year though.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 1:12 PM on May. 16, 2010

• How did I attack? I simply asked you a very rational question, did I not? It seems you are the one attacking me.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:20 PM on May. 16, 2010

• Oh and yes, it is illegal. See for yourself.

Minimum Requirements

1. Every state in the U.S. has its own specific infant car seat laws, but all states require that an infant be in a rear-facing infant car seat until the child has reached a minimum age of one and a minimum weight of 20 pounds.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_4759708_infant-car-seat-laws.html

BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:23 PM on May. 16, 2010

• It doesn't matter at all if she has good head control it will make zero difference in a car accident. Her bones are not mature enough to withstand the forces of a forward facing crash.
    In addition it is against the LAW to forward face this early.. (in case your child's life isn't important enough, maybe a law is) the law states that she must rearface until she is BOTH 1 year AND 20 lbs... neither of which she is.
    What kind of seat is she in right now?? Maybe a newer convertible seat would be the trick to make her happier if she is still in her infant seat. Infant seats are very small and can make them feel cramped up. Get a bigger convertible and she might be happier. If you already have her in a convertible she might be happier at a more upright angle... which is fine when they are older.
    As far as when my child forward faced...he's not. He's 22 months, 36 inches and 30 lbs rear facing because I think safety is important
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:56 PM on May. 16, 2010

• Oh and I wanted to add that it is ILLEGAL in every state... even if the state doesn't spell out the 1 and 20 they all have a proper usage clause that says you need to the use the seat correctly and you won't find a single seat on the market that says you can forward face before 20 lbs and 1 year of age (some seats now even say 22 lbs and 36 inches before they can forward face in them)
    Any parent that forward faces a 3 month old is an idiot and shouldn't be a parent if they are that careless.
    And I read your post after I wrote my reply and it seems you do still have her in her infant carrier... I would get her a convertible seat and she might be a MUCH happier baby. Look into these (for sure DON'T get a 3 in 1): Cosco Scenera - bare bones, not much padding and you'll need another seat when she is around 3... but it's affordable.
    FirstYears TrueFit or Graco Myride- both WONDERFUL and will last until booster age and COMFY
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:03 PM on May. 16, 2010