I just saw on the news that stores are spying on us without our permission

Last night while watching the news I saw a story that upset me greatly.

Stores are now recording our movements within the store, not to stop shoplifting but rather to figure out how and why we buy so they can sell us more.

Although my husband owns a small store we believe this is just wrong. What do you think? Here's a link to the story http://prorev.com/2010/03/stores-spying-on-customers-buying.html

QuillingDiva

Asked by QuillingDiva at 11:47 AM on May. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I have know problem with it as long as it is not illegal.

Answer by louise2 at 11:51 AM on May. 16, 2010

• I think that it has been going on for a few years now.I kinda just figured that they are always there.It's really just up to the store owner.I'm fine with it as long as they stay out of" The Dressing Rooms ."..lol..
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 11:53 AM on May. 16, 2010

• One perk to it that I could see... is them making improvements based on shoppers. Surveys would probably work better in this case but if they think video will then go for it. I'll just remember to refrain from nose picking while at the stores ; ) jk.

Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 11:55 AM on May. 16, 2010

• Well considering you are on their property, they have the right to record you without your permission. The reasons don't matter really as long as they don't have cameras in the dressing rooms or restrooms, then it is perfectly legal. I think we all get too caught up in the whole we have the right to be told this and that, but on the same hand if you don't want to have this happen, stay home and become a hermit I guess.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 12:01 PM on May. 16, 2010

• This isn't news. They have always been spying on us to prevent shop-lifting. But as long as they are not putting cameras in the dressing rooms, I don't care. Just don't steal and you'll be good. *thumbs up*
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 12:04 PM on May. 16, 2010

• I don't have a problem with that. They have had closed circuit cameras in stores for over 15 years and they do sometimes have security personnel watching the dressing rooms... but if it will prevent loss and if it will track customers,so what? If you don't do anything wrong, why worry??? Stores are doing research all the time. If you didn't know these things before, you are very naive.
    Anonymous

• This is not something new, it has been going on for years, in some places there are cameras in the street corners, nowadays there is cameras everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Answer by older at 12:27 PM on May. 16, 2010

• That is why grocery stores started having store discount cards instead of coupons, so they could track purchases and trends. I really don't care who sees what I buy.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 12:27 PM on May. 16, 2010

• Doesn't surprise me, I wonder about dressing rooms...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 12:54 PM on May. 16, 2010

• i like online shopping.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:58 PM on May. 16, 2010