What to do when child won't go poop on the toilet yet?

My DD will go pee put just not poop. She knows when she has to go and she asks for a diaper(she is scared to go) so she can run in the other room to go in her diaper.
I am sick of diapers and she just turned 3 this past week. I have undies on her @ home...Should I stick to diapers or pull ups? :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:47 PM on May. 16, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Don't give her the diaper, when she says she has to go poop, sit her on the potty and tell her to relax. Kiwi did the same thing when she potty trained for about a week. For a few days, she held it in, then complained of a belly ache (duh!), so I kept putting her on the potty and eventually she pooped. A few times, I wouldn't give her a diaper so she went to another room and pooped in her panties. Every time she did this, I would make her throw the panties away. Of course, after she wasn't looking, I would pull them out and put them in the washer, but she thought she was loosing the pooped on panties, and since they were dora, she hated that! If you go back and forth between diapers and panties, it will be harder and longer for her to learn. It won't be long for her to do both on the potty, but as soon as she does, make a huge deal about it "Oh, you're so big, Oh, I'm so proud"
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:53 PM on May. 16, 2010

• I also offered to buy Kiwi a pack of panties of her choice when she went two weeks without any accidents, both pee and poop, when she did both in the potty. We kept a chart made of poster board on the wall in the bathroom, marked in 14 sections, and made a happy face for everyday she didn't have an accident. She loved that.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:54 PM on May. 16, 2010

• No pull ups, no no no!
    They are confusing and pointless other than for night time.

It's perfectly normal for kids to be afraid to poop on the toilet.
    It took my son a long time before he would do it. I just kept telling him that his poops WANT to go in the toilet. I would let him see mine in the toilet and we'd yell "Bye bye poops!" as we flushed them away.
    I know it sounds disgusting but it helped him see that it was ok for his poop to go in the toilet.

He still has accidents sometimes but he's not "afraid" to poop on the toilet anymore.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 1:57 PM on May. 16, 2010

• Most experts say to offer the child a diaper for his bowel movements if he requests it. Wait until HE is ready to have BM's in the toilet. That's too bad if YOU are tired of diapers. Your child is only three. He needs to feel secure, not pressured to grow up too quickly. Be a mommy and do your job.
    Anonymous

• To anon.....go somewhere else. It's a SHE btw and I am a concerned MOMMY who is seeking advice
    Anonymous

• Thank you to the previous 3 mommy answers.....I appreciate REAL,THOUGHTFUL answers! :)
    Anonymous

• You might have to be patient and wait a little longer. Don't push her and make it a bad experience.
    Anonymous