Car Tips for 2 Mo. Old

My two month old absolutely HATES riding in the car unless someone is sitting next to him. When it is just the two of us in the car, he screams so hard that he coughs, chokes, and spits up. I'm constantly pulling over and trying to console him. I live an hour away from the closest town, and everytime we have to go into town alone it's a nigthmare. I try singing and talking to him, but it only works for a minute or so at a time. If someone is sitting beside him, he is as happy as can be, smiling and cooing. Any tips to get him used to sitting alone in the backseat? He is a really happy baby otherwise and it breaks my heart that he gets this upset!

AngelOnBoard

Asked by AngelOnBoard at 1:54 PM on May. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• they make toy bars that go across the bar on their carseats. I had one for both of my boys. They loved to play with the unbreakable mirrors on them.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 1:55 PM on May. 16, 2010

• They also make mirrors that you can put on the back of the seat of the car and another on the windshield that can be adjusted so you can see each other. Maybe if he can see you, he won't be so upset and feel so lonely.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:58 PM on May. 16, 2010

• Put a mirror up .. I got one for my daughter that had lights and sang .. it had a remote for me so that if it turned off before we got out of the car, I would could turn it on from the front seat - it was great and she loved it when she was at that age. Maybe if he sees himself he will think someone is sitting there with him. It's also good for you to look in your mirror and be able to see his reflection and make sure he's okay.
    And like PP said, the toy bars that hang from the carseats are great too ..

here is a link to the mirror i was telling you about.
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3922163
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 2:02 PM on May. 16, 2010

• Mirrors are fine. Though don't get things that clip to the car seat, it is a hazard and danger if the toys or items are hard and an accident were to occur.

I found that my baby at that age was more amiable if she was fed, changed, and either just up from a nap in the morning (she was very happy in the morning) and would be content in the carseat for a trip. Or she was full, fed, and then put in the seat when ready to sleep -- she would then nap for the trip.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:14 PM on May. 16, 2010

• My kids loved having a mirror - - I also had the one that had lights and music, that I could turn on from the front with a remote. I agree with amileegirl - don't clip things to your carseat, or leave the handle up with toys hanging down - it's not safe!!!
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 4:43 PM on May. 16, 2010