Best Big Brother gift out there???

My son is 15months as of right now. I am due in June and he will be 16 months old... I know, I know! VERY CLOSE IN AGE! Anyways... We want to get him a gift to give him the hospital to make him feel extra specail. I have been thinking alot abou this since we found out we were expecting again. The best thing I can think of is a Teddy Bear from Build a Bear... But then again, I dont think he will care about it as much as he would a shovel, lol... A SHOVEL! He cant keep a shovel for ever- But he loves toys right now. Do you get what I am saying?

What would you buy your young toddler? He is getting a sister, and I know he really isnt going to care much for her... He prob. wont even notice her untill we get home with her- So what do I do?

I cant spend alot. We are living on 1 income, and as most Moms know, if you dont have a job, you dotn have tons of cash to just blow-- What do you think?

ashley_hatty

Asked by ashley_hatty at 1:54 PM on May. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Figure out how much you want to spend, then take him to his favorite store and let him pick something out. Or get him a "big boy" toy, what ever he thinks is a big boy thing is, it'll also help him understand he's the big boy, not the little infant.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:57 PM on May. 16, 2010

• my son loves cars so we got him cars :) this time around I don't know... maybe more cars lol... and we say its from his little brother.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:58 PM on May. 16, 2010

• When my son was born, we got DD a 'Big Sister' photo album. It is not that big, is made of soft terrycloth with the faces of a girl and a baby appliqued on to it with a handle. My intent was for 'him' to give it to her, but hew was in NICU for a week, so see never got to met him until he came home. We printed some pictures at home so she could 'see' her little brother. That was 2 1/2 years ago, and she still carries it and we change out some of the photos from time to time, but keep 1 or 2 of the photos from him in the hospital.
    nova.mommy

Answer by nova.mommy at 5:57 PM on May. 16, 2010

• My grandson LOVED (and still does) the shirt we got him when his little sister was born that says "I'm the BIG Brother" ...and he adores his baby sister!
    Maybe you can make special shirts that say "I'm the BIG Brother" and "I'm the LITTLE Sister" for them both and after she's born add her hand or foot prints to it...it would also be something to put away for them...
    cjsix

Answer by cjsix at 10:26 PM on May. 16, 2010

• Like you mama, I have a 15 month old and am due next month. But unlike you, I am not worrying about getting a big sister gift for my toddler. At 15 months, I really don't think it matters or she will remember. Just make sure not to be so consumed with the needs of the new baby where he feels left out.
    Anonymous

• my kids are 17 months apart my son is older as a big brother gift we got him a big brother shirt. he is very close to sissy and protective. she wear a apnea monitor till 8 months and because of that and their closeness in age they are best friends. good luck
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 4:34 PM on May. 17, 2010

• When our 9 month old was born, his sister was only 13 months old. When SIL brought her to the hospital to see her new baby brother, she pointed and looked at him like, "What is that? I know what that is! Get rid of it!" But when we got home, she didnt even notice him. She didnt care about him at all, she had her own little world to explore. At 22 months, she still doesn't care about him, lol. He'll crawl over and pull her hair, but that's the only time she notices him.
    I say get him a shovel. He'll love it, it's cheap, and you'll have nothing to worry about :)

Good luck, and Congradulations Mama!
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 6:28 PM on May. 17, 2010