Question about differences

Why do people stop showering with their young kids when they start to notice "differences" ? (like a little boy noticing mommy doesn't have a penis) What's the big deal? Isn't it a great teaching opportunity?

Arisce

Asked by Arisce at 2:08 PM on May. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think some people feel uncomfortable with it. I know my husband did with our daughter, when ever he took a bath with her, he wore swim trunks. Once, when she was about 12 months, he went to the bathroom. He was always careful to lock the door, but I guess it didn't latch too good this time, because, Kiwi took off down the hall after him. She pushed the door open and saw him standing there peeing, and broke down. She pulled out her pants and diaper and cried "where's mine? Why I no have a pee-pee stick?" and cried in the hall way. It was hilarious, and he made sure to lock and latch the door after that.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:24 PM on May. 16, 2010

• Because they are uncomfortable with their bodies. They don't teach their children the proper names for body parts and their functions.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:56 PM on May. 16, 2010

• My DD is 2 1/2 and hasn't noticed any difference, though she has pointed out my "pirates (privates)." I have no problem showering with her and teaching her the correct names for her body parts. Fortunately, she is growing more and more independent, so she prefers to hop in with me at the end of my shower, then take a bath by herself, vs just showering with me. I believe in a lot of child-led parenting--I won't force her to shower with me, and I won't force her to bathe alone. As far as that goes, she can make the choice. If she asks questions, I'll teach her. If she gets to "grabby," I ask her to keep her hands to herself.

Some people, I feel, are just uncomfortable being that close with their children. They prefer complete modesty and prefer to teach their children differently.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 4:03 PM on May. 16, 2010

• i was just thinking about this today. my 3 yr old dd and i take showers together. she just asked me what everything was one day and i told her and it has not been a big deal after that. now she knows what hers is called. if it were a boy i dont know if i would shower with him simply because he doesnt need to see mommy's lady parts. but i would not see a problem with him taking a shower with dad.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 6:46 PM on May. 16, 2010

• "if it were a boy i dont know if i would shower with him simply because he doesnt need to see mommy's lady parts. "

But WHY? Why not explain the differences between boys and girls? That's what I don't understand.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 8:00 PM on May. 16, 2010

• I have boys, and I have no problem showering with them. I don't lock the doors when I use the bathroom, nor when I'm changing my clothes. I don't prance around the house naked, but I also don't run and hide from them either. They are 4 and 6 and they have seen all of me, and noticed the differences. I just told them what all the body parts are called, and we've moved on. In our house, it's not a big deal.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 11:13 PM on May. 16, 2010