It has been TWO HOURS and it's STILL not done (Aspie and HW)

My 5 year old Asperger's child has homework to do. All he has to do is write a 3 sentence story and do 4 math problems His assignment was already cut form 5 sentences. I have agreed to let him use the computer since he a portable word processor is part of his IEP. I have told him no TV or video games until it is done. I told him he could have a break between the story and the math. This is the first time they have had homework (getting ready for 1st grade) and I'm not sure I can do this!!! WE already had one major melt-down (which ended with him asleep on his floor) I have to go wake him up now so he will sleep tonight(it's been 45 min) and start over

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:03 PM on May. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• Hugs!!! My oldest is an Aspie and I remember how frustrating it was for both of us to get him to do his homework! Does he have an IEP and a modified homework schedule? That is one thing they did for my son, and it helped. What I did for my son was I would look over the homework with him, then we would decide what he wanted to do 1st. Then he did that, took a break, got a snack or whatever and then after the break he would do the next subject. It seemed to work to break it down into chunks and have a break between. That helped out a bit, but there were still times when he would be overwhelmed (or not want to do it) and he would still give me a bit of attitude. On days like that when he gave me problems and would not do it, my hubs would take over and most of the time he was able to get our son to get the work done.
    Good luck!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:51 PM on May. 16, 2010

• What is your question?
    Anonymous

• OP:: HOw do I get him to do this with out driving both of us over the edge!?
    Anonymous

• You set an early time to do it. If possible, let him decide on a reasonable time (that gives him SOME control) and you work through it for a couple of years. No games, no toys, no tv, etc. until it's finished. My 10 year old was the same way until this year, now that he's in 4th grade it's like night/day from what it used to be like getting him to sit down and do it.

Answer by missanc at 3:38 PM on May. 16, 2010

• My DS is HFA and writing original sentences is extremely difficult for him. Perhaps if you sat with him and gave him ideas of what he could write about or just ask questions about something he'd be interested in writing about. I home school my son and we really have a hard time with this! Maybe just help him come up with a topic and then tell him to make three statements about it. GL

Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 4:16 PM on May. 16, 2010

• OP: I have tried sitting with him and helping him. I have given him ideas and he 'hate' all of them or doesn't 'know how' to write 3 sentences about that. Some of this is him being an Aspie and some of this is him being a brat. :0) His daddy is going to try with him when he gets home.
    Anonymous

• That is why I homeschool. I couldn't take the endless homework that she couldn't understand anyway. Now we work at her speed and take breaks when we need to. It is a huge burden off both of us.
    Anonymous