I need help with breast feeding questions

How can I make enough milk? I was told to feed on demand and I've been doing that but it still doesn't seem to be enough. I'm in lots of pain from my sore nipples and he's still never satisfied. I'm told not to supplement because that just counter acts with the feedings being able to increase milk production but, all I keep hearing from other people around me is that I have to supplement to make sure the baby is getting enough and I have to supplement because I can't keep doing these feedings every 20 minutes to an hour.
I'm so ready to pull my hair out! What can I do. I really REALLY don't want to give formula but that's what I'm being push into and the more I fight that the more I'm feeling like I'm about to break down and just give formula. Help!

cassdragon23

Asked by cassdragon23 at 3:05 PM on May. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• the more he eats the more milk you will produce. as fo rhim easting every 20 mins to an hr he is probabley having a growth spurt..i breast fed my daughter to she never had any formula, until she was a little over 11 months old.
    the more water and milk you drink will also help you produce more milk for him too..make sure you are getting enough to eat cause if you are not eating right then he is not getting anything either..Good luck..
    Anonymous

• First off...breath. :0) Second. Try to find a lactation consultant to help you sort through what is correct information. They will also watch you feed to make sure that the baby is doing her part right. They can be more help than you could ever imagine!

How old is your baby? several could be happening. Your actual milk may not have come in yet if baby is less than 5 days old. When it does the feedings will be less. You may be making plenty but baby is not a sufficient suckler. Also if there is pain while you are feeding then the baby's latch may not be correct try removing baby form the breast and having her re-latch. an improper latch will not have her getting enough if any milk. The PP was right if the baby is older it could be a growth spurt.

If you don't want to give formula then a lactation consult is the best idea for you and baby.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:15 PM on May. 16, 2010

• It's a supply and demand thing; the more he demands, the more you supply. If you start supplementing, then he's not going to be demanding from you, and you won't supply as much. But what makes you think you're not making enough? The only way to judge that is by counting diapers; if he's wetting/dirtying 6-8 diapers a day, then you're making enough. How often he eats is no indication at all of how much you're making, just how often he wants to nurse. How old is he? It's common for newborns to "cluster-feed" like that where it feels like they're attached to you 24/7; with my daughter, that lasted less than two weeks, so they do grow out of it fairly quickly. There were odd days after that when she ate every hour, going through a growth spurt or something, but nothing regular after the first few weeks. And definitely stay hydrated, helps with engorgement and supply. And for nipply pain, try lansinoh. Good luck!
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:16 PM on May. 16, 2010

• How old is your baby? How long have you been BFing? Your profile just shows you have a 5 yr old.

Babies nurse super often in the beginning and then it starts to regulate after about 5 weeks. Keep feeding on demand.

Join the BFing groups here on CafeMom for great advice.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:41 PM on May. 16, 2010

• This is what worked for me when I was having supply issues:

Nurse frequently
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:58 PM on May. 16, 2010

• To me, it sounds like you have a newborn. If I'm right, then just keep nursing on demand. Every 20 mins WILL slow down eventually. BUT, for now, this is how your supply is being built. Satisfied or not, means nothing. How many diapers are you changing in a 24 hr period? If baby is older then a week old, and you are changing AT LEAST 6--8 diapers, pee or poo in a 24 hr period, your supply is FINE. Give some more info, and I'll gladly try to give more advice.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:29 PM on May. 16, 2010

• Thank you everyone for your advice thus far. I should give some more info (sorry). He is a month old and he does seem to be going through a good amount of diapers. I think he is getting a pretty good amount but, since it's always directly from me I can't understand how I'm ever going to get and put away for me to use a bottle to give my nipple a break. I think I might have a yeast infection of the nipple. Has anyone ever had that? How can I tell if that's my soreness issue? I think that's the main reason for the suggestions to supplement. (That and those around me don't like that I'm not getting the house work done because of the amount of feedings I'm having to do.)
    cassdragon23

Answer by cassdragon23 at 4:43 PM on May. 16, 2010

• Thrush is rather commopn. Tons of good info on treatment on kellymom.com.

He's a normal newborn. For the nonce, you go with it. He WILL slow down. And as to those who don't like that you're ot getting housework done...HAND THEM A MOP! They do the chores or they stick a cork in it. I do mean that. Nobody ever had "World's Best Housekeeper" on their grave.

At the moment your ONLY job is caring for the baby. That's it, nothing else. No need to supplement.

Drop by the breastfeeding moms group for help and support.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:39 PM on May. 16, 2010

• I agree completely with gdiamante. Her breastfeeding advice is always excellent. When my MIL came to visit after my daughter was born she did all the housework, laundry, exercised the dogs, etc. Now my MIL is one of those people who always needs to be doing something, but still, it was really nice to not have to worry about those things. She only really held my daughter when I napped or showered. I LOVE my MIL and am so thankful that she was here to make everything go smoothly in those first few weeks. I definitely recommend telling those that are saying to supplement to shut it and help do some housework. If they didn't breastfeed they don't give advice.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 6:11 PM on May. 16, 2010

• Agree with the advice! Especially gdiamante.

The early weeks are non stop. There are growth spurts at 3 days, 6 days, 9 weeks, 3 months, 6 months etc. Give or take a week or so. So those first few months are a lot of nursing. If you have thrush definitely get that rectified.

As for the housework, the house isn't going anywhere. If your visitors want a clean house then they can either not come over or do it themselves :)

I found the best way to give a nipple a break was to feed one side per session and change my holds (footbal hold was a favorite) so that the pressure isn't always in the same spot. I banned all bottles and nipples from my house. They were not allowed until 8 weeks and ONLY when I was at work. I pumped one breast while my baby nursed the other side and my husband used a spoon or eyedropper to feed. http://www.drjacknewman.com has great videos to watch.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:40 PM on May. 16, 2010