How to stop strange dogs

My 2 year old daughter is afraid of dog rushing towards her when we go out. Some are curious, some show agressive behavior. I was wondering (after having watched quiet a lot of Cesar Millan's "Dog whisperer"), if there is an instant reaction I can give to stop the approaching dog when the owner is not in control or can't be bothered.
We don't have a dog ourselves, by the way.

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 3:22 PM on May. 16, 2010 in Pets

• step in front of your child, you don't know if the dog is going to bite or not. In an authoratative voice say "NO! GO HOME!" If the dog keeps approaching pick your child up, stamp your feet @ the dog & raise your voice. Repeat your commands. When I walk w/ my dd I keep a stick in the bottom of her stroller for this reason. You don't know which dogs are going to bite, not all growl or bark 1st & I don't want some off leash dog mauling my dd. Even when we walk w/out the stroller I take the stick. There are WAY too many mean off leash dogs in my neighborhood. Teach her not to run up to a strange dog & NOT TO RUN AWAY, if she runs she's prey & the dog WILL chase her. Teach her to stand still & say the same thing, practice w/ her.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 5:17 PM on May. 16, 2010

• Get a can of direct stop. It is like Mace but safe for dogs. I works very well, I carry it with me when I am out walking my dogs .
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:24 PM on May. 16, 2010