Horrible smell fron the washing machine

`Since two days a terrible smell comes out of my washing machine. I checked out the thing, where you put the powder in, I cleaned the filter, disposed an old, wet sock that got stuck between the rubber and ran an hour's program with a good shot of desinfectant. Few hours later ... smell. Yuk! Sour and moldy. What can I do?

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 3:33 PM on May. 16, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Clean any rubber seals really good.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:05 PM on May. 16, 2010

• Throw in a gallon of vinegar and a cup of baking soda

Answer by rkoloms at 3:50 PM on May. 16, 2010

• My husband read the manual and there's some cycle you can do that cleans it and he did that and added bleach. I also dry out the door and the door area after I'm finished doing laundry and leave the door open for a few hours.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 5:49 PM on May. 16, 2010

• Who makes it?
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:06 PM on May. 16, 2010

• Get some Tide washing machine cleaner and run a cleaning cycle. It works wonders. Also, leave your washing machine door or lid open to help the machine air out when not in use.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:37 PM on May. 31, 2010

• It is possible for washing machines to get funky. Run a few cycles with NO laundry of either bleach or vinegar. Make sure you leave the door (or top) open as good air circulation helps prevent mold or fungus (even in your washing machine!)
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 6:03 PM on Jul. 26, 2010