I feel Bad

My mil just left and my 4 month old dd spent the whole she was here crying. I don't think my mil sees her enough because she is not like that with my parents. Is this something she will grow out of or do I need to make a point of getting them together more often? Has anyone else had any experience with this and what did you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on May. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes, she will grow out of it

Answer by rkoloms at 3:51 PM on May. 16, 2010

• Your DD will grow out of it. It could have just been an off day for her. The most important thing right now is to show your child through your actions and facial expressions that you are comfortable with who you are leaving her with, no matter who it may be.

You may want to try having your MIL visit your house for short periods of time so your daughter can warm up to her a bit more. Then, move your visits to MIL's house, and stay with your DD. Eventually you will be able to leave her at your MIL's and hope that she will be comfortable.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 4:06 PM on May. 16, 2010

• My oldest did that to my MIL and FIL but didn't do it to my mom. My mom was in her life more so she was ok with her. However now she is great with both my MIL and FIL. Infact the last time they came to visit she cried for the rest of the day when they left! However that did take a while.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 7:25 PM on May. 16, 2010

• ohh yes..My son never did that but my younger two did especially my middle child whom was also colocky. It was because my MIL saw them but never long enough so they knew her but weren't comfy with her. They will outgrow it. Getting them together more would be a good way to make it faster though!
    Anonymous

• She is 4 months old....maybe it was just a bad day. my DD is 22 months old and sometimes she just has bad days.

i would probably try to make sure that they do get more time together if it doesn't seem like they are getting enough, but she is awful young to be stressing out about this, i think. my mom lives 5 hours away so is only down once or twice a month. so she doesnt' get a TON of time with my DD who is only 22 months (her FIRST grand baby.....she has my SK's as grandchildren too, but DD is the first from birth grand baby). My DD loves her and says her name too....not just my Inlaws. She sees my inlaws more so has more of a connection with them in some ways, but as she has gotten older she seems to be growing in attachment to my sister and mom.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:44 PM on May. 16, 2010