Tipping

Why do hair stylists, massage therapists and aesteticians deserve to get tipped? Do you tip 20%? What if you have something really expensive done - like extensions or a Brazilian Keratin treatment? Do you still tip 20% when the bill is already over $350?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on May. 16, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Because they provided a service for you. If you can't afford the 20%, don't spend the $350. That's like a slap in the face to the stylists that provided good service to you! Yes, I always tip at least 20% because I love the women at my spa.

Answer by missanc at 4:01 PM on May. 16, 2010

• Yes I tip 20%.
    thisloveofmine

Answer by thisloveofmine at 4:04 PM on May. 16, 2010

• My hair cost 160 to do the last time i got it dome.I paid 200.She earned it
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 4:17 PM on May. 16, 2010

• done*
    ryanlynn

• OP here....I didn't say I don't tip 20%, I do. The question was why is tipping necessary if you are paying to have a service done when they make a fair wage already. I get lots of services done that don't require tipping. My cleaning lady, landscaper, pest control, etc., for example.
    Anonymous

• you think 8-10 bucks an hour doing your hair and listening to your problems is fair wages? it's a service that requires someone to be balanced, knowledgable, and willing to do the right thing. if the stylist messes up your hair you obviously don't tip but if they do a good job wouldn't you want to treat them fairly and tip them. this is something you have to wear for awhile usually, it's not like someone is bagging your groceries.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 4:44 PM on May. 16, 2010

• and when i was a maid i did get tipped, those clients would get a better service the next time too fyi
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 4:45 PM on May. 16, 2010

• OP...lol my cleaning lady gets 100% of what she makes. She doesn't work for a service. I pay her directly. She does just fine without me needing to tip her.

And the stylists I go to make MUCH more that $8 to 10 dollars an hour. Mabye the chicks at the kiddie salon that I take my son to make that though :)
    Anonymous

• For me it depends on the service if I'm really happy then yes 20% if not then it goes down accordingly. A tip is supposed to be a reward for excellent service, not part of the expected wage. Where I am so many ppl in service industries expect tips no matter the service or their attitude. I've actually had waiters say something to me bc they weren't happy w/ the tip I left. When I explained to them that we waited for 45 mins for water & they brought us the wrong food TWICE & then didn't return until they literally threw the bill on the table as they walked by they ought not expect a tip & should be thankful I wasn't complaining to the manager about the horrible service. Know you were talking about others but the service industry as a whole needs an overhaul on how they pay ppl. If you know your stylist is pocketing 80-100% of what she's charging then I'd talk to her about tipping. I know others that just do gifts @ Xmas.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 5:08 PM on May. 16, 2010

• Keep in mind that commissioned hairstylists usually only get 45-50% of whatever you are paying them. Booth renting stylist have more freedom with their prices and usually are charging what they expect to make. Either case, it is appropriate to tip if you feel they deserve it. It is safe to say that a stylist at a chain salon is working on commission. If they don't meet the commission, they only get minimum wage.
    Anonymous