How long did it take to potty train your child?

Twisted_Halo

Asked by Twisted_Halo at 5:09 PM on May. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• At the urging of our family doctor ("Oh, she is so smart"), we started at 18 months. She was tying her shoes and reading before she was out of diapers at four.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:29 PM on May. 16, 2010

• With my son about a week before he really got the idea, I started maybe a month or two before he turned 3, putting him right into underwear. He had occasional accidents for probably a few months, but he was at least trying to make it to the bathroom. My daughter is 2 1/2 and I've been trying with no success for maybe a month or two, she takes her diapers off as soon as she pees and even changes her own diapers sometimes if I'm not fast enough, but she absolutely will not tell me before she goes. If I put her in underwear she just goes in them every time, which I don't mind the pee so much but I can't handle poopy underwear all the time so I went back to diapers.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 6:05 PM on May. 16, 2010

• My first took about 10 days (3 days of staying home and focusing on that exclusively, another week or so of frequent accidents) before she was good to go -- she was 19 months. My little one just recently became accident free (and initiating all the potty trips on her own) at 20 months -- she started a bit younger, actually, almost 18 months, but we were more gradual about it because of different circumstances. So I guess for her it technically took about 2 months, but it was easy enough to manage from the beginning... it just took a bit longer for her to be able to tell us reliably when she needed to go. Patience, consistency and persistence! But I'm not one to give in at the first few accidents or if the child gets bored with it... I say, once you're in it, ditch the diapers and plow ahead. They can do it!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:55 PM on May. 17, 2010